Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Hello,
I have this PLC showing the power and low battery LED lit. Only the 0 LED lit with no output LEDs lit.
The 2 buss fuses check good. We recycled AC 120v power but no change.
My guess is the memory battery died and the program was lost and has to be reprogrammed and batt replaced.
It controls a pump alternating panel in a hospital and is a critical load.
Any ideas on how to proceed or how I can get a manual on this puppy?
Tks

Attachments

• 21016 PLC cover.pdf
    486.8 KB · Views: 14

Jolted

First check the manifest from the Mayflower, then see where it got delivered...

I’d start here if it was my problem

Actually, I take that back. I’d just buy a cheap, new, IEC style PLC and write a simple program.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1985 is calling and want's its cheap PLC back...

IIRC, that product line, originally the Westinghouse D Series PLCs, was brand-labeled from Toshiba. I heard anecdotally that Toshiba's old DOS based software would have worked to program it, but unless you find someone wo still has an old 5-1/4" Floppy Disk with it on there, and a way to read a 5-1/4" floppy, and a machine that can run old DOS programs, you are probably SOL. Besides, if the RAM battery died and it lost power, the program is gone anyway. So it's time to rip and replace.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Thanks for all your help, guys!
I think I will refer the customer to his BMS guy or some automation company for further assistance.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
All,
I just got a report back from the customer. He claims that they soldered in a new RAM battery and the program came back.
Does that mean that the program was stored in some type of non-volatile memory?

synchro

Occupation
EE
All,
I just got a report back from the customer. He claims that they soldered in a new RAM battery and the program came back.
Does that mean that the program was stored in some type of non-volatile memory?
That's very likely to be the case. The user manual mentions the use of EEPROMs and UV erasable PROMs.

paulengr

Look you can buy an Automation Direct Click PLC for around $50 with all the on board IO you need or just maybe add a couple relays or another output card and a programming cable for $50. Add a 24 V Power supply for $25. Tech support and software is free. They probably even have “pump controller” sample programs on the web site. The point is by the time you troubleshoot this you could buy and install new hardware. I actually carry these on the service van because they are used extensively in the area and are cheap abs reliable.

masterinbama

Is this a lift station application?

If it is I would ditch the PLC and go with redundant alternating relays. Much more reliable in my 30 years of moving raw sewage.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
In post #6 I forgot to mention that the new battery brought the program and system back to normal (Run LED lit, Low Battery went out) and the vacuum pumps are alternating as designed. Problem solved.

BTW, on this job I was originally called out to investigate why they were running on generators all night. Turned out voltage disturbances (V transients) from the utility co caused a UV relay to fail on the utility sensing circuit preventing one ATS from transferring back to normal, keeping the gens running. A simple jumper wire bypassing the single phase UVR brought the ATS back to normal, shutting down the gens (attached see red jumper on the blue B2 relay, top center.) A fire alarm panel circuit board was also damaged by the spikes, VFD issues, etc and I have a feeling that the pump panel failed as a result of the Poco anomalies.
Thanks guys for all your input and I now have a plan laid out if it craps out again.

Attachments

• 21016 ATS-A1 CP.pdf
    745.9 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.