Eaton CHFAFGF120NP Breakers Faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

btierman

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electricican
Has anyone had the Eaton Cutler Hammer "CH" Combination Arc-Fault / GFCI breakers fail?. I have been dealing with these breakers overheating, with a temperature measurement at the breaker @ 120-130 degrees Fahrenheit with the ambient temperature at 71F. I have spoken with Eaton Technical support and they just told me that this is a common problem with the first series of the plug on neutral breakers, with the replacement being the CHFP120DF.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is that 120°-130° considered an above normal operating temperature for that type of circuit breaker?

btierman

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electricican
Is that 120°-130° considered an above normal operating temperature for that type of circuit breaker?
The publication on the Eaton Circuit breakers say they have been designed to function both electronically and mechanically at temperatures exceeding 194 degrees. We have had multiple failures on these first generation plug on neutral breakers.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’ve changed out several in the last couple of months. All giving the “self-test failure” indicator. Changed one last week that was so hot it was tripping the breaker directly across the bus also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I deal with their industrial equipment, it's not much better, when possible I'm replacing their products with another manufacturer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.