Eaton Guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Supply house had a display set up for Eaton's new replacement guts. They advertise every thing as code compliant up to and including wire bending space. I can see how this would be a good product for service changes. No cutting out old can, damage to sheet rock, pulling wireing out and getting it back in new can and the guts are adjustable in and out to fit the cover. The only disadvantage I see is you have to measure the old can and then order the correct one for that size can. It would not be practical for a burned buss bar because people wouldn't want to wait a day or so to get their power back on. Has any one seen these and/or used them yet?

mistabass

I have seen them suppy house said 3 to 4 days to get did old church few years ago old panel cemented in i used simulare company worked out great wouldnt use for resi

Jim W in Tampa

I have never made any huge mess from a change out. At most they get handyman for an hour to fix it. With 5 minute drywall mud its not big deal. I use to carry drywall tools with me.
I agree that customers usually needed it yesterday and 2 more days simply will not cut it.

Why upgrade in the first place?

Why upgrade in the first place?

How does changing the can make for a better job. :confused:

This is a great idea. We need more forward thinkers willing to do things differently.

There's no way I'd have reused the old panelbox from MOST of the upgrades I've done.

Generally, folks aren't upgrading because they have a couple of grand burning a hole in thier pocket.

Why would folks be upgrading?
....putting an addition on the house?
....adding a hot tub?
....central air?
....kitchen remodel?

Usually I find the existing panel has had circuits added over the years and (unfortunately) it's a birds nest of wires and a totally jammed full mess.

I'm usually doing an upgrade because it's needed in order to have more power available for MORE circuits....circuits that I would not even try to jam into the old existing box(usually). Upgrade from 60 or 100 to 200 amp......larger can, nice neat job.

Not saying this is an absolute, just most cases.

I suppose these insert things would be awesome in the right circumstances.

iwire

Staff member
I think we should keep in mind that to the NEC a "Panel Board" is just the 'guts' as covered in Article 408 and that the box it goes in is a "Cabinet" as covered in Article 312.:)

Long before these kits where available we would have panelboard shops make new panelboards for existing cabinets.

I used to work for a company that serviced a large school district and we where often replacing panelboards in the schools. Often the panelboard cabinets where flush mounted in brick or block walls with rigid metal conduits coming in each end. To replace a cabinet would require a lot of masonry demolition and repair. We would go in one day take measurements and other info give that to the panel shop. The panel shop would build a panelboard and provide a cover that would go right into the old cabinet. :cool:

Jim W in Tampa

I think we should keep in mind that to the NEC a "Panel Board" is just the 'guts' as covered in Article 408 and that the box it goes in is a "Cabinet" as covered in Article 312.:)

Long before these kits where available we would have panelboard shops make new panelboards for existing cabinets.

I used to work for a company that serviced a large school district and we where often replacing panelboards in the schools. Often the panelboard cabinets where flush mounted in brick or block walls with rigid metal conduits coming in each end. To replace a cabinet would require a lot of masonry demolition and repair. We would go in one day take measurements and other info give that to the panel shop. The panel shop would build a panelboard and provide a cover that would go right into the old cabinet. :cool:

That probably was very cost effective and likely plenty safe. But the end result is non UL listed panel.

ceb58

How does changing the can make for a better job. :confused:

This is a great idea. We need more forward thinkers willing to do things differently.

So far it seems that most are against using something like this. I for one would use it in a heart beat if it supplied me the amps and number of spaces I needed. A rats nest can be cleaned up, no cutting or patching dry wall ( which would increase cost to HO), no fighting with wire clamps and/or conduit.

Never seen that, but I think it's a bad trend. Rip it out....put in new. Better money, better job.
I cannot see a better job. If the HO leaves while you are doing the job the only thing he will see when he returns is cutout Sheetrock and holes around the panel that now need to be fixed. If it is feasible to install new guts then all he will see is a new cover over undamaged wall.

I cannot see better money. If we both bid say $1500.00 for the job. If I can go in and replace the guts, install new breakers, clean up the wireing all code compliant in 2 hrs. and you go in cut out Sheetrock,cutout can, get all clamps in, clean up the wireing, install new breakers all code compliant and it takes 3hrs. Who has made the better money. $1500/2= $750.00 - material per hr. Or $1500/3= 500.00 - material per hr. and HO must pay to have wall fixed. I'm just saying.

USMC1302

I have seen three of these used in the last year to replace beat up Westinghouse panels in a school. Flush, masonry construction, seemed to be a whole lot better than cutting/patching block. No problem figuring out what was needed, and the installation went pretty quick. I'd recommend considering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.