Eaton JDB 150A Frame & 225A Trip Unit Combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG-1

I am trying to figure out if this breaker frame trip unit combination should be possible or is this an anomaly.

150A Frame

225A Trip Unit

The thermal seems to be fixed & only the magnetic (instantaneous) is adjustable. The base amps is printed on the Trip Unit. So what is the ampere rating on the frame for ?

Here is a link to some information

https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/Eaton/JT3200T.pdf?i=46AAC28F-3990-44C5-A4CE-75139B8D2493

Attachments

• JDB 150A Frame with 225A TripUnit.jpg
    JDB 150A Frame with 225A TripUnit.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Something odd going on there!

The frame is ostensibly 250A, as it is for a JD-anything.

The CATALOG number (JD2225) is for a 225A T-M breaker. "Factory Assembled Circuit Consisting of Frame, Trip Unit and Terminals"

The LABEL says it is a 150A breaker. But that does not look like the Eaton factory label.

The TRIP UNIT is 225A

This looks to me to be a "remanufacturerd" breaker, maybe from a breaker broker or surplus shop, cobbled together from separate parts that FIT together, but were never meant to BE together in that format.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe that the frame size is 250 amps but it's a mystery as to why is says 150 amps. The catalog number seems to indicate that it's a 225 amp CB.

WA_Sparky

Electrical Engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Mislabeled Breaker

Mislabeled Breaker

I am trying to figure out if this breaker frame trip unit combination should be possible or is this an anomaly.

150A Frame

225A Trip Unit

The thermal seems to be fixed & only the magnetic (instantaneous) is adjustable. The base amps is printed on the Trip Unit. So what is the ampere rating on the frame for ?

Here is a link to some information

https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/Eaton/JT3200T.pdf?i=46AAC28F-3990-44C5-A4CE-75139B8D2493

The Frame will always be >=Trip rating
It appears the Frame (based on CAT#) is 225A.
The trip is typically a bolt on device that reduces the "max" amperage to a lower setting. You can have a 150A trip that is then dialed down to 100A based on the adjustable settings on the trip unit.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The Frame will always be >=Trip rating
It appears the Frame (based on CAT#) is 225A.
The trip is typically a bolt on device that reduces the "max" amperage to a lower setting. You can have a 150A trip that is then dialed down to 100A based on the adjustable settings on the trip unit.

Yes, but that catalog number on the front is for a FIXED TRIP that is FACTORY assembled and that is not an adjustable trip unit. The odd part is that the catalog number on the front of the breaker as well as the trip unit do not jive with the text saying that it is 150A.

SG-1

Misprints in Eaton catalogs are not unknown.

On the devices as well.

From what I have read the trip unit is in charge. That makes the breaker a 225A Fixed Thermal with adjustable magnetic trips for each pole.

Probably a misprinted label. Quality will decide if they want to scrap or contact somebody. I'll try to stay in the loop on this one, so I can let you all know what happen.

Thank you all for your help. The main thing I wanted conformation on was that all three amp ratings should match.

zog

On the devices as well.

From what I have read the trip unit is in charge. That makes the breaker a 225A Fixed Thermal with adjustable magnetic trips for each pole.

Probably a misprinted label. Quality will decide if they want to scrap or contact somebody. I'll try to stay in the loop on this one, so I can let you all know what happen.

Thank you all for your help. The main thing I wanted conformation on was that all three amp ratings should match.

Did this breaker come with a test report?

zog

No, and since it does not have a serial number I do not think there will be one available.

I agree with Jraef that this looks like it was cobbled together by a used equipment dealer that wasn't sure what they were doing. Any "reconditioned" breaker should come fully tested with a report. I would suggest getting this one tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.