Eaton Residential Load Center CTL breaker locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielk54

Does anyone know where to find Eaton wiring diagrams that show where the CTL breakers can be located ?

I'm a home inspector and recently inspected a two month old home with an Eaton BR3040B200 main breaker service panel. It had tandems randomly placed throughout the panel. The panel did not have a wiring diagram to confirm the CTL spaces and the home was occupied, so I couldn't pull breakers to see the stabs. Now I cant seem to find a wiring diagram online anywhere?

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I thought I was going to show off internet searching skills and help you ... but no.

The product is not in the current catalog. It is on Home Depot and Amazon as you likely found. It MAY be a homeowner/retail store special? The catalog suggests it will be discontinued this year with plug-in-neutral coming to the line.

All ___I HAVE SEEN___ not accepting them everywhere have bus stabs for CTL grouped at one end or the other, and the 3040 tell us there are 30 spaces with 40 circuits maximum ... so 10 of the 30 spaces can have 0.5" breakers. Without the panel diagram, all you can say for sure is that no more than 10 of the 30 spaces can have the 0.5" pairs.

If the thin breaker p/n is visible and it is one of those made for pre-1968 panels (without the rejection tab), that's worth noting. But the AHJ accepted it, so I'd report it to him.

I looked on the GE (ABB) website; they do identify which accept them. I didn't look at Schneider.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The tandem spaces should be on the bottom, or the opposite end from the main, depending on which way the panel is mounted. On a 30/40 there should be five stabs, which is ten spaces. So you could have 20 full size (less if 2-pole breakers are used) and 10 tandems. These will all be in one area, top or bottom and not scattered through out. Sounds like someone used the non CTL breakers, which will fit anywhere.

I have never seen a HI remove a breaker to look at the bus or stabs.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I use Square D, so I don’t know the answer, but....

I looked through this document;
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?Idc...leased&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=CA08100002E

Page 53 has a pretty clear image of a 30-space bus, and all of them appear to be identical.

But page 69 shows a smaller panel that clearly shows notched bus bars.

So it could be the panel on p.53 is a 30/30 loadcenter.

It seems the only way to know for sure is to remove the breakers and look. I can tell you on Square D loadcenters, they only accept tandems on the bottom 5 rows of a 30/40 loadcenter.

Being that I see two clearly different types of bus bar, I would guess it’s the same scenario. I’ve seen Square D tandems located in the upper portion of a loadcenter, and the only way to make it fit is to notch the plastic on the breaker.

Also I noticed there was an image towards the beginning of that document that showed a CH style loadcenter and the bottom of the bus bar was clearly different than the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I thought I was going to show off internet searching skills and help you ... but no.

The product is not in the current catalog. It is on Home Depot and Amazon as you likely found. It MAY be a homeowner/retail store special? The catalog suggests it will be discontinued this year with plug-in-neutral coming to the line.

All ___I HAVE SEEN___ not accepting them everywhere have bus stabs for CTL grouped at one end or the other, and the 3040 tell us there are 30 spaces with 40 circuits maximum ... so 10 of the 30 spaces can have 0.5" breakers. Without the panel diagram, all you can say for sure is that no more than 10 of the 30 spaces can have the 0.5" pairs.

If the thin breaker p/n is visible and it is one of those made for pre-1968 panels (without the rejection tab), that's worth noting. But the AHJ accepted it, so I'd report it to him.

I looked on the GE (ABB) website; they do identify which accept them. I didn't look at Schneider.
GE, the 1/2 size breakers only work where bus is designed to accept them, not easy to modify to make them work in comparison to other makes. Homeline, the rejection method is similar to Siemens and Eaton BR series. QO the rejection feature is in the foot instead of the power connection end.

Status
Not open for further replies.