Eaton SVX 9000 VFD Overtemp

Status
Not open for further replies.

baylwin

Occupation
Electrician
Was troubleshooting an over temp issue on an Eaton SVX9000 VFD today. Fault code was F14 unit over temperature. The drive was cleaned out recently and the fan was working and pulling lots of air through the heat sink. The cabinet that houses the VFD also had 2 fans that were providing good air flow. I believe the high temp alarm is at 75 degrees c and the fault is at 90 degrees c. Any ideas?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
do you have in infrared thermometer? you could see what the heat sink temperature actually is.

you can probably look at the temperature the vfd thinks he heat sink is at and see if they are close.

i will say this. it does not take a lot of dust or dirt to clog up a heat sink, even if the fan is still pulling what appears to be a significant amount of air.

what is the ambient temperature? most older drives don't like it above about 40 deg c.that is only about 100 deg f. what is the temp inside the cabinet when the fault happens?

baylwin

Occupation
Electrician
That’s a good idea to try the infrared thermometer and compare the temp to what the display says. Ambient temperature has been around 30-35 degrees c. I wonder if it’s possible that there is a temperature sensor inside the vfd that is failing or if it is actually getting that hot inside it.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've changed quite a few drives that were older and started throwing over temp codes for no reason. It seems to be one of the more common failure modes.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vacon (the manufacturer of that drive) uses a PTC thermistor as the heat sink thermal element. A PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient of resistance) thermistor increases resistance as the temperature increases. So the monitor circuit looks for a steep rise in the resistance to know if it needs to trip. A broken wire or a loose connection (from maybe, say a recent cleaning?) means infinite resistance, which the monitor circuit will assume is a hot heat sink.

Reactions: MTW

baylwin

Occupation
Electrician
This is all very helpful. Thanks guys! Got a few other things to look at and try out. Good thing the company has a spare vfd.

Status
Not open for further replies.