Edison socket. No... really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

Finally got a chance to get back into a house I'd looked over a few years back and snapped a photo today. As far as I know this is still hooked up and working.

Attachments

• edison.jpg
    edison.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Finally got a chance to get back into a house I'd looked over a few years back and snapped a photo today. As far as I know this is still hooked up and working.
The classic Nineteen Aughts "power outlet". Installed to accept an adapter for the male plug that was not yet standardized.

It gives a whole new twist to the idea of why tamper-resistance is a good idea.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Still hooked up and working ? How is it working ? Do the occupants have the appropriate adaptor or do they use alligator clips ? :huh:

PetrosA

It's a baseboard socket in a third floor hallway. There may be more in the house but this is the only one I found. The fact that it's in a hallway may be why it never got changed to a regular outlet. There are also the four prong duplex outlets in there, so I'm guessing upgrades were done throughout the history of the property.

If I recall correctly, the first generation appliances like radios, irons, table lamps etc. came with a cord end that screwed into these sockets. Plug-in cords weren't invented till later. That's why they used to make the three socket adapters with a pull chain on the one coming straight down. The other two were for appliances.

This just reminded me that when I started back in the 80s doing resi work, the older generation used to refer to receptacles as sockets. I think this is why.

Status
Not open for further replies.