Education Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Can some one explain to me the difference between shunt trip breakers and programable breakers? Can they provide the same type of protection?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I cannot answer your question specifically but they still protect the equipment as any other breaker. They have different purposes. What are you trying to do?

VIC1958

Shunt Trip

Shunt Trip

I have a electrician asking me if he nneds to put a shunt trip breaker at a generator that is supply a medical clinic even though the incoming 1600 amp service has a shunt trip. The one line shows a programmable breaker at each location. I am first to admit that I am not completely familiar with this type of installation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a electrician asking me if he nneds to put a shunt trip breaker at a generator that is supply a medical clinic even though the incoming 1600 amp service has a shunt trip. The one line shows a programmable breaker at each location. I am first to admit that I am not completely familiar with this type of installation.

I am also going to admit I am not sure but my gut says "why a shunt trip" That doesn't make sense as generally you don't want to shut off the power.

stevebea

Shunt trip or GFP?

zog

Can some one explain to me the difference between shunt trip breakers and programable breakers? Can they provide the same type of protection?

A shunt trip is an accessory and is an option for many breaker types. Programable refers to a trip unit with different settings you can put in.

Can you clarify your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.