EFFECT OF IMBALANCE ON DEMAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

budbla

SIMPLY STATED WHAT EFFECT DOES IMBALANCED THREE PHASE LOAD HAVE ON UTILITY METERING OF DEMAND?
FOR EXAMPLE IF THE PHASES ARE 10KW, 12KW AND 30KW?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Please turn off the ALL CAPS feature. It makes the post more difficult to read. It is also considered impolite, as though you were SHOUTING at us.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't think that your imbalanced load, while not the most desirable condition, is going to affect your demand metering. The way that demand charges are applied, as I understand it, is that your highest monthly demand over a prescribed period, whether that be minutes or hours, is used to compute your demand rate for the next xx amount of months. It depends on the tariffs in place in your area. The utility assumes that they are going to have to supply that load at any given time for any given amount of time, hence the charge.

Our utility colleagues on the forum will no doubt chime in to help on this one (I hope). Charlie Eldridge ?

jtester

Many utility metering schemes utilize 3 CT's or meters with 3 current coils. They meassure the current in each phase, thereby eliminating inaccuracy from imbalance, at least current imbalance.

The schemes that don't measure all three currents are usually limited to services where the loads are generally assumed to be balanced.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.