Effective ground fault current path

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Definition of effective ground fault current path: an intentionally constructed, low impedance electrically conductive path designed and intended to carry current under ground fault conditions from the point of ground fault on a wiring system to the electrical supply source and that facilitates the operation of the overcurrent protective device or ground fault detectors.

Definition of equipment grounding conductor: the conductive path that provides a ground fault current path and connects normally non current metal parts of equipment together and to the system grounded conductor or to the grounding electrode conductor or both.

Questions:

1. Where in NEC 2014 it says EGC can be used to create effective ground fault current path?

2. If I have metallic poles one line separated by x distance and each pole has power equipment attached and light that dedicated branch circuits in them and EGC for all of them are bonded to its respective metallic pole then would that be creating effective ground fault current or just ground fault current?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Definition of effective ground fault current path: an intentionally constructed, low impedance electrically conductive path designed and intended to carry current under ground fault conditions from the point of ground fault on a wiring system to the electrical supply source and that facilitates the operation of the overcurrent protective device or ground fault detectors.

Definition of equipment grounding conductor: the conductive path that provides a ground fault current path and connects normally non current metal parts of equipment together and to the system grounded conductor or to the grounding electrode conductor or both.

Questions:

1. Where in NEC 2014 it says EGC can be used to create effective ground fault current path?
Try 250.120
2. If I have metallic poles in line and each pole has power equipment attached and light that has branch circuits in them and EGC for all of them are bonded to its respective metallic pole then would that be creating effective ground fault current or just ground fault current?

You are creating neither effective ground fault current nor just ground fault current.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Post #1 question 2 meant path:

2. If I have metallic poles one line separated by x distance and each pole has power equipment attached and light that has dedicated branch circuits in them and EGC for all of them are bonded to its respective metallic pole then would that be creating effective ground fault current path or just ground fault current path?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
1. Still don’t see 250.120 saying EGC can be used as effective ground fault current path?

2. Basically if metallic poles get energized and Someone touches while metallic poles are energized then breaker needs to trip. If not effective ground fault current path nor ground fault current path then what is it that is being done question #2 post #3?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.