EGC and GC terminated on same bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
In a service panel, is it permissible to terminate the Grounded conductor and the equipment grounding conductor on the same terminal bar?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I try. Often words get in the way when I explain things.

I can't remember the code reference. It's in there for real, not one of those urban myth codes. I'm sure of it. Someone will jump in if you give it enough time.

Too late tonight to look it up, but it something along the lines of not using the metal of the enclosure/panel for the path for a branch circuit grounded conductor to the neutral bus.

If you land the neutral from a branch circuit to a bar other than where the service neutral/grounded is terminated, they either have to be bonded together with a bond bar from the factory or a bonding jumper field installed. You can't rely on just the metal of the can for the connection. Also, so there is not unwanted current flowing through the metal of the tub.

Last edited:

jumper

Too late tonight to look it up, but it something along the lines of not using the metal of the enclosure/panel for the path for a branch circuit grounded conductor to the neutral bus.

If you land the neutral from a branch circuit to a bar other than where the service neutral/grounded is terminated, they either have to be bonded together with a bond bar from the factory or a bonding jumper field installed. You can't rely on just the metal of the can for the connection. Also, so there is not unwanted current flowing through the metal of the tub.

Here ya go.....

200.2(B) Continuity. The continuity of a grounded conductor
shall not depend on a connection to a metallic enclosure,
raceway, or cable armor.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
What if you throw that green screw away?;) Or run the GEC to that same bar? ;)

Kids do not try this at home!

If you throw away the "green screw" you have to install a main bonding jumper sized to 250.66. The GEC has to connect to the neutral bar unless you use a wire type (appropriately sized) jumper to the EG bar.

jumper

If you throw away the "green screw" you have to install a main bonding jumper sized to 250.66. The GEC has to connect to the neutral bar unless you use a wire type (appropriately sized) jumper to the EG bar.

Or busbar:

250.24(A)(4) Main Bonding Jumper asWire or Busbar. Where the
main bonding jumper specified in 250.28 is a wire or busbar
and is installed from the grounded conductor terminal
bar or bus to the equipment grounding terminal bar or bus
in the service equipment, the grounding electrode conductor
shall be permitted to be connected to the equipment
grounding terminal, bar, or bus to which the main bonding
jumper is connected.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
[/B]

Or busbar:

Well, yes, you are correct. In my defense, I was thinking that if you had a panel small enough to use the "green screw", then you would not have a bus bar main bonding jumper. Details, details, you always have to be on your toes here.:)

jumper

Well, yes, you are correct. In my defense, I was thinking that if you had a panel small enough to use the "green screw", then you would not have a bus bar main bonding jumper. Details, details, you always have to be on your toes here.:)

Just having fun Texie, we do tend to nit pick hit here, I get popped all the time on minute points.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.