EGC and GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul32

Is there anything in the code that says I cannot do the following? The neutral bus in a breaker enclosure I'm using as the main disconnect only has 3 lugs on it, so incoming neutral, outgoing neutral, and GEC go there. Can I split bolt connect the EGC of the outgoing feeder to the GEC in the breaker enclosure? I know I can add a lug to the enclosure but I feel better not having the enclosure in the grounding path (like not using conduit as the EGC). Both ECG and GEC are 6AWG copper.

BruceH

Re: EGC and GEC

I don't understand your reasoning. If the enclosure is bonded which it should be, there is no concern here. You would be accomplishing the exact same thing either way. I would go with the lug.

GG

I had an inspector give me a red tag once when I used a split bolt on a GEC. He sited 250.8 as his reason. This is your main service disconnect so the neutral should be bonded to the enclosure, 250.24(B), so you can add a lug to the enclosure for you ECC. Even if you split bolt the ECC to the GEC, they are still both in effect attached to the main service disconnect. Hope this helps.

pattbaa

Basicaly,The Grounding Electrode Conductor between the Grounding Electrode and the Grounded System Conductor is required to be installed as a single conductor without joints and connections in the GEC between the Grounding Electrode and the termination at the Service.

An exception allows two seperate conductors, one from the Grounding Electrode, one from the Service termination, to be joined by "irreversible", "one-time only", connection methods.A split-bolt , "removable-type" connector for a joint in the "middle" of the GEC between the two "end-connections" would justify a "Red tag".---- Art 250.64 (C).

Art 250.8 specificly allows " listed pressure connectors, listed clamps, or other listed means" To cite Art 250.8 as prohibiting a "reversible" connection that joins two seperate conductors to form one GEC
is to cite the wrong Article.

250.8 would allow Bonding the Feeder Equiptment Grounding Conductor to the Grounding Electrode Conductor with a " listed pressure connector"

I suggest first passing the EGC thru a lug which is Bonded to the metallic surface of the enclosure before making the connection to the GEC.

JohnE

Originally posted by paul32:
Is there anything in the code that says I cannot do the following? The neutral bus in a breaker enclosure I'm using as the main disconnect only has 3 lugs on it, so incoming neutral, outgoing neutral, and GEC go there. Can I split bolt connect the EGC of the outgoing feeder to the GEC in the breaker enclosure? I know I can add a lug to the enclosure but I feel better not having the enclosure in the grounding path (like not using conduit as the EGC). Both ECG and GEC are 6AWG copper.
This would be completely legal in my opinion. However, I'd go with installing the lug.

John

derf48

The answer to: can you connect an equipment grounding conductor to a grounding electroce conductor in your service equipment, is a simple yes. 250.130 gives the methods of equipment grounding conductor connections and at service equipment it refers you to 250.130 (A), which reads "The connection shall be made by bonding the equipment grounding conductor to the grounded service conductor and the grounding electrode conductor". Remember the definition of bonding, the permanant joining of metal parts, and the requirement of 250.8, using listed connectors, a listed split bolt connector on an unspliced GEC fulfills 250.4. It may not be the way most people choose to terminate it, but that does not make it wrong. If your AHJ doesn't like it or believe, 250.130 (C) actually spells out a connection to the GEC for an equipment grounding conductor.

Fred

paul32

Thanks for replies. I know an added lug could be used, but I feel better about a split bolt connection than using the enclosure, just like some pull an EGC wire in EMT rather than use the EMT as the ground path.

OneWay

Originally posted by paul32:
Thanks for replies. I know an added lug could be used, but I feel better about a split bolt connection than using the enclosure, just like some pull an EGC wire in EMT rather than use the EMT as the ground path.
To use the EMT as part of your equipment grounding system is only half the job, there are several requirements in order to use this method of grounding, do not be so eager to criticize an (EGC)equipment grounding conductor, which is always the better road to take. Grounding is the most important feature of your electrical system, without it you have compromised the entire system

Status
Not open for further replies.