EGC connected to ground at both ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrineb

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm working on a design which has EGC's as a core within the multiconductor cables. They are connected to the ground bar at the panels/switchboard, but is there any requirement for it to be bonded to the ground bar at the final equipment?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The whole of an EGC purpose is to provide a fault clearing path from the equipment to the power source and they must be connected to the metal non-current carrying parts at the load end.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Also are these power cables or signal cables?

Power circuits require EGCs as a fault current path. Signal circuits use 'grounds' differently.

Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm working on a design which has EGC's as a core within the multiconductor cables. They are connected to the ground bar at the panels/switchboard, but is there any requirement for it to be bonded to the ground bar at the final equipment?
If it's the only EGC for the load equipment, of course it should.

kerrineb

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It’s not connected to “ground” at the load end, it’s connected to the equipment’s grounding terminal.
yes correct - but my question was whether that equipment grounding terminal needs to be connected to any local grounding / bonding and if so - which part of the code states this. E.g.if it was a metallic box with local bonding to ground, does the Equipment grounding conductor terminal need to be connected to that - or can the EGC just terminate at the terminal - not connected to anything locally.

kerrineb

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The whole of an EGC purpose is to provide a fault clearing path from the equipment to the power source and they must be connected to the metal non-current carrying parts at the load end.
Thanks , is there any part of the NEC i can refer to for this load end connection requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.