EGC for Ungrounded Receptacles, 250.130(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohn20

Questions on running an EGC to Ungrounded receptacles. Please correct me if I make any erroneous assumptions leading up to my question and forgive any improper use of terms. This is residential btw, NYS, Nassau County.

To my knowledge, 250.130(C) allows for a separate EGC to be run from the grounding bus bar in the main panel to a receptacle to provide an EGC for an ungrounded receptacle, allowing you to replace that receptacle with a grounding type receptacle.

My question:

From there, if I wanted to run an EGC to any other currently ungrounded receptacles on the same circuit, would I also have to run each EGC back to the main panel because of 250.130(C)(5)? Or would I be able to run an EGC from the circuit to a junction box and then run individual conductors to each receptacle?

For the time being, let's forget the fact that if I'm fishing wire I might as well just run a new NM-B WG from the panel anyway.

Questions on running an EGC to Ungrounded receptacles. Please correct me if I make any erroneous assumptions leading up to my question and forgive any improper use of terms. This is residential btw, NYS, Nassau County.

To my knowledge, 250.130(C) allows for a separate EGC to be run from the grounding bus bar in the main panel to a receptacle to provide an EGC for an ungrounded receptacle, allowing you to replace that receptacle with a grounding type receptacle.

My question:

From there, if I wanted to run an EGC to any other currently ungrounded receptacles on the same circuit, would I also have to run each EGC back to the main panel because of 250.130(C)(5)? Or would I be able to run an EGC from the circuit to a junction box and then run individual conductors to each receptacle?

For the time being, let's forget the fact that if I'm fishing wire I might as well just run a new NM-B WG from the panel anyway.
I say YES you can. Just because the egc is spliced at a junction box, it is STILL part of the same egc that is connected to the 'grounding terminal bar within the service equipment enclosure.'.

hillbilly

On some old houses, I will pull a #6cu solid that I bond to the GEC, route it around the house (in the attic or crawlspace) near to the receptacles that I want to ground and tap off the #6 with a grounding conductor to each receptacle.

Works well, especially if you have several receptacles to ground.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.