EGC IGC split code allow as follows

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I feel like this is a separate topic then one on the post bringing both EGC and IGC so needs to have separate post not in same post to avoid confusion.

I have two menu boards and I have two lights lights outside fed from panelboard inside but has pull box in between.

So from panelboard to pull box inside I have 8#10+8#12+1#10EGC + 1#10IGC all in one conduit for two menu boards and two lights outside. All loads fed from 20A branch circuit breakers 120V single phase.

From pullbox they separate: for two lights I have 4#12+2#12EGC+2#12IGC separate conduit and for two menu boards I have 4#10+2#10EGC+2#10IGC in separate conduit.

So from incoming to pull box it’s #10EGC and #10IGC but then they split to #12EGC, #12IGC for lights but remain #10EGC , #10IGC for menu boards .

Can you tap size from#10 to #12 as mention above EGC and IGC for lights?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the OCPD is 20 amps and you're using a combination of #10 and #12 conductors then there are no taps involved. There may be an issue with the conduit from the panel to the pull box with derating the #12 conductors and using a 20 amp OCPD. What is the total number of CCC's in that raceway?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO any egc must be large enough for the corresponding circuit conductors. So a 20A circuit run on 10ga wire requires a 10ga egc.

If your circuit is run on a mix of 10ga and 12ga, then a 10ga egc must be used for the portions using 10ga, but 12ga is fine for the portions with 12ga circuit conductors.

Isolated ground conductors are sized the same as regular egc conductors.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.