EGC in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to ground my array with #6 bare solid copper strung between the rails. I want to carry this EGC down to my electrical room with all of my other strings in conduit. Under 2014 NEC am I allowed to transition this #6 bare into THHN in a junction box on the roof to allow myself an easier pull going all the way to the electrical room? Or will this still have to be a solid wire all the way back?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Off the top of my head, I'll go out on a limb and say a transition to a green insulated EGC is permitted. :D

Welcome! :thumbsup:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
310.106(C)

(C) Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways,
conductors 8 AWG and larger, not specifically permitted or
required elsewhere in this Code to be solid, shall be
stranded.

I admit I don't know if the pv equipment grounding conductor is required to be solid.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You are most certainly permitted to transition to a stranded conductor inside a raceway. In fact the transition would be required if this were any application besides PV, or if you were on a previous code. See 310.106(C) and 690.46.

For some reason the Code Making Panel decided that it was acceptable to use larger solid wire for PV applications. Personally I think it is very ill-advised to run a solid #6 in conduit, both from an installation difficulty standpoint and potential functional problems (i.e. damage to other conductors). I suppose with larger raceways it would be less of an issue.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You are most certainly permitted to transition to a stranded conductor inside a raceway. ....
In some cases, the transition itself can be inside a raceway, that is ones where the interior is accessible, such as wireway. Otherwise, the transition itself cannot be inside the raceway itself. I just wanted to clarify that for any of our young-to-the-trade patrons.
:happyyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.