EGC measured 39 volts to Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom Sun

Unknown building supply / Commercial tenant space has 3 phase 4 wire 120/208 Y Sub-Panel.

Review of the circuits and grounding means for a new tenant showed 39 volts EGC to isolated NEUTRAL. Strange enough was the voltage test from circuits line 1, 2, or 3 showed a normal 120 volts to neutral, but when tested the circuits to EGC, the test showed 147 volts.

My first thought was a loose EGC at the distribution point allowing the EGC to pick up inductance outside of the tenant space.

My second thought was a fault on the EGC somewhere else in the building that is not "tripping"a breaker somewhere outside of the tenant space.

Would my thoughts seem accurate? Any other thoughts?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Review of the circuits and grounding means for a new tenant showed 39 volts EGC to isolated NEUTRAL. Strange enough was the voltage test from circuits line 1, 2, or 3 showed a normal 120 volts to neutral, but when tested the circuits to EGC, the test showed 147 volts.
A textbook example of a missing main bonding jumper. In other words, your neutral is not tied to the EGC/GEC system.

There is nothing strange about having normal line-to-neutral voltages. You're used to seeing solidly-grounded neutrals.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since there is a transformer involved it sounds like a missing system bonding jumper in the transformer. I've seen this several times over the years, my guess is that some electricians think that the neutral is factory bonded so they do not install a SBJ.

Thom Sun

Thank you guys. I appreciate your input(s), and I agree completely about the Neutral not being bonded to the GEC at the transformer. Tomorrows search will discover more.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.