EGC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So looking at this grounding riser there are conductors that are coming from the equipment and the ground or neutral bar(I assume) within that equipment to a ground bar. Technically are these both equipment grounding conductors or just the one from the equipment enclosure and not the ground/neutral bar? Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The EGC is typically the conductor run with the feeder or branch circuit conductors. From your graphic it appears that neither of those conductors would be an EGC.

mstrlucky74

The EGC is typically the conductor run with the feeder or branch circuit conductors. From your graphic it appears that neither of those conductors would be an EGC.

That's exactly what I thought. So what would those(in the pic) be? Just grounding/grounded conductors or bonding?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's exactly what I thought. So what would those(in the pic) be? Just grounding/grounded conductors or bonding?

The one running to the Wye part of the transformer diagram (750 kcmil) would be a GEC and an incredible waste of money.

mstrlucky74

So in this other pic the grounds are the EGC's?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks. Weird, you would think the conductor they shown on the grounding riser from the equipment enclosure to the ground bar would be a EGC.

Not sure why you would you think that. The EGC must be run with the branch circuit or feeder conductors not a separate conductor like the ones shown in your first graphic hence my response in post #2. ;)

Could be a more-grounding-is-better/waste of money setup. We had a ~2MW solar array that, in addition to all the EGCs run with the circuits and everything bonded properly, had a mysterious "bonding conductor" running around in the cable tray and tagging onto stuff (again).

Status
Not open for further replies.