El Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
358.22 Number of Conductors.
The number of conductors shall not exceed that permitted by the percentage fill specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.
Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use is not prohibited by the respective cable articles. The number of cables shall not exceed the allowable percentage fill specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.

It is the same wording in all of the conduit and tubing article sections; 3xx.22

Roger

sfav8r

But it's not legal to run it in exterior pipe or inground pipe if you're feeding an island or something in the kitchen.

Are you saying it is never allowed if in exterior or inground pipe. And it is never allowed if you are feeding an "island or something in the kitchen?" I'd like to review the code section if you have one.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Are you saying it is never allowed if in exterior or inground pipe. And it is never allowed if you are feeding an "island or something in the kitchen?" I'd like to review the code section if you have one.

Thanks

We can never run NM in wet locations. The inside of a conduit in a wet location is considered wet.

300.5 Underground Installations.

(B) Wet Locations.
The interior of enclosures or raceways installed underground shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in these enclosures or raceways in underground installations shall be listed for use in wet locations and shall comply with 310.8(C). Any connections or splices in an underground installation shall be approved for wet locations.

Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in loca-tions subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations ex-posed to weather.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks

Romex is only good for dry locations. It is assumed an underground conduit will fill with water. Both per specific code sections, although I don't know which ones offhand.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Thanks

I assume this is the reason your inspector tagged you in your other thread and he would be correct.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We can never run NM in wet locations. The inside of a conduit in a wet location is considered wet.
300.9 for those who want to see the citation.
sfav8r: The inspector could also argue that 20' is enough beyond the meaning of "short" in 300.10, Exception 1, that you will be required to bond your 20' section as well. (20' comes from this thread.)

It gets really confusing when the same basic topic jumps back and forth from thread to thread!

sfav8r

I wasn't aware that the inside of a raceway in a wet location was considered a wet location. You learn something new every day. As I didn't see an exception for LT, I guess the inside of Liquid Tight is also considered to be wet?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I wasn't aware that the inside of a raceway in a wet location was considered a wet location. You learn something new every day. As I didn't see an exception for LT, I guess the inside of Liquid Tight is also considered to be wet?
I do not see why it would not be.
The liquid inside the raceway could come from leaky couplings or simply from condensation. Something exposed to water will almost always also be exposed to temperature gradients.

Status
Not open for further replies.