Electric Car Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArCal

Several years ago the City installed a electric vehicle charging station in a City owned parking lot. I found out about the station this week and when I went to view it I found that anyone can open the cover and inside is a 110 GFIC receptacle and 2 - 220 receptacles. Other than the 110 GFIC, there is no safety mechanism on the station. This is located in an area that is full of transients. They want to install a new station next to it, but they want to keep the old one. I told them that the old one needs to be removed. Am I the only one that sees a problem with it?

Attachments

• Electric Car Station 002.jpg
    Electric Car Station 002.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Electric Car Station 001.jpg
    Electric Car Station 001.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Several years ago the City installed a electric vehicle charging station in a City owned parking lot. I found out about the station this week and when I went to view it I found that anyone can open the cover and inside is a 110 GFIC receptacle and 2 - 220 receptacles. Other than the 110 GFIC, there is no safety mechanism on the station. This is located in an area that is full of transients. They want to install a new station next to it, but they want to keep the old one. I told them that the old one needs to be removed. Am I the only one that sees a problem with it?

I'm a little confused here. The photos show a panel with outlets, similar to an RV outlet panel. I don't see any issue with this, but this is not an Art. 625 EV Charging System as your thread title is suggesting.
And what "safety mechanism" do you think is needed here? It looks compliant to me as is, but just not as a EV charging station.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I too am confused. That is simply a panel with outlets that seem to be designed to plug a charging station into.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I too am confused. That is simply a panel with outlets that seem to be designed to plug a charging station into.

Maybe the OP is implying that this can't be used to supply an EV charger VIA cord and plug. If that is the case, I think he is right. I never seen a cord and plug EV charger that is approved for an outdoor location. Outdoor chargers are hardwired.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Maybe the OP is implying that this can't be used to supply an EV charger VIA cord and plug. If that is the case, I think he is right. I never seen a cord and plug EV charger that is approved for an outdoor location. Outdoor chargers are hardwired.

You could still hardwire them into that box-- I presume

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

I think that once upon a time a charger would be part of or carried in the vehicle and required just a source of line voltage at the appropriate voltage and current. The outdoor receptacles were to support those chargers.
I doubt that they would find any users right now other than golf carts, mobility assist scooters and DIY vehicles.

ArCal

Gold Digger, you are right. We have old owner-built electric cars around and that is why the City set up this station. I have never seen 220 outlets outdoors, that is why I became concerned, considering its location. And yes you are right texie, this is not a Art. 625 EV charging system. It is just what you see, a panel box with outlets and breakers in the middle of a parking lot.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Gold Digger, you are right. We have old owner-built electric cars around and that is why the City set up this station. I have never seen 220 outlets outdoors, that is why I became concerned, considering its location. And yes you are right texie, this is not a Art. 625 EV charging system. It is just what you see, a panel box with outlets and breakers in the middle of a parking lot.

Since the receptacles themselves are no greater hazard outdoors than indoors I see no mandate to remove them.
But current codes would require an in-use weatherproof cover and I cannot be sure from the photos if this would qualify. I would also ask if you are concerned about someone in an RV parking and hooking up.

ArCal

No, I guess my only concern was the homeless, who many are spaced out, sticking something into the sockets and electrocuting themselves.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
No, I guess my only concern was the homeless, who many are spaced out, sticking something into the sockets and electrocuting themselves.

You can't protect against anyone from sticking something into an electrical receptacle. If they do it once they will learn and will not do it again. You can't protect against stupidity.

As mentioned earlier there is no violation or any issues with the current set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.