Electric Cooking - Optional Calc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Happy Holidays, All:

I am currently designing services for a multi-family high-rise. There will be two services with 72 tenant meters each. Each apartment will have a dual-fuel range, that is, gas burners, a traditional electric oven rack and an electric convection oven. For the purposes of the optional calc, can I consider this to be "electric cooking equipment" as in 220.84(A)(2) ? If not, I'm going to have to do the standard method which is going to nearly double the services sizes. I don't care either way, since it's design build, I just want to do it correctly, obviously.

BTW, we are still on 2008 here, so any changes to Art. 220 after that are not applicable to me.

Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My 2008 book is at home, but I doubt the answer would be different. Based on the 2017 (that did not revise this article from 2014), I would say yes, you can consider these appliances to be "electric cooking equipment." The fact that the appliance also has gas burners does not matter. You will include the total load of the appliances electrical portions, and ignore the gas burners.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If not, I'm going to have to do the standard method which is going to nearly double the services sizes. I don't care either way, since it's design build, I just want to do it correctly, obviously.

BTW, we are still on 2008 here, so any changes to Art. 220 after that are not applicable to me.

Thanks

I agree with Charlie. But, even if you didnt have electric cooking equipment you could still use the 220.84 optional calculation per the exception for the cooking equipment. (I assume the exception was there in 2008.)

Status
Not open for further replies.