Electric Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

eee

I installed an electric fence. The transformer is grounded to a ground rod 4 feet deep obviously to the negative terminal. The positive terminal is connected to the fence wire. The transformer has an indicator light that is supposed to blink 40 to 60 times per second when working. The fence works when I connect my current electrical tester to the hot fence wire one foot from the transformer considering that the fence wire is 20 feet long. The electrical tester has a rod that goest in the ground while the prong connects to the hot wire to register the electricitiy. Incidentally, my ground rod is within 10 feet of the transformer and dug 4 feet deep and I have a shorter ground rod installed 10 feet away. Could not dig it deeper considering the tools I had available.

When I tie the existing fence to a longer section of the fence and connect my electrical tester to the hot wire 1 foot from the transformer I get very slow flashing on the transformer from the light and no glow from the light on the electrical tester with ground reference from the electrical tester inserted in to the wet ground.

The concept of the electrical fence is that you provide a path to ground when you touch the fence just like the electrical tester does I understand. Since it is a dead short from the electrical tester to ground 1 foot from the transformer, electricity readings should be normal even though the length of the fence has been extended from 20 feet to 140 feet on account of tieing the fences together I estimate.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum?s rules. This Forum is for professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry. Although your member profile states that you have some involvement in this industry or a related industry, your question makes it clear that you are planning to perform electrical work at your own home, and that you are not an electrician. We are not permitted to provide ?how-to? assistance to a ?do-it-yourself? person.

Status
Not open for further replies.