Electric Heating for parking garage entrance ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
Looking for imfomation on grids or electric Strip pads to be poured in /or under entrance ramp driveway that goes into underground parking garage. I am checking some out on web, but have never used/or furnished any before. Under usual circumstances, would not the hvac furnish these and elect. contractor, supply power for operation. Appreciate help from any of you that have had experience with these. Ron / Central Illinois

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
There are products out there approved for outdoor use. Not typically the same stuff you use on a bathroom floor. I think a hydronic system would be far more economical to operate and be more reliable, but I'm sure the initial cost will be more.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was not recommending the indoor units as most of these companies sell other heating products

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I was not recommending the indoor units as most of these companies sell other heating products
I didn't mean to imply that you were, sorry. I guess my real point is that I think electric heat is a poor design choice. I'm amazed at how many people want add an electric unit heater to thier uninsulated garage because it is inexpensive compared to gas. I tell 'um bite the bullet and put in a proper gas fired unit heater if you want to heat the great outdoors. Resistance heat is very inefficient was my point.

BJ Conner

Snow melting mat.

Snow melting mat.

Looking for imfomation on grids or electric Strip pads to be poured in /or under entrance ramp driveway that goes into underground parking garage. I am checking some out on web, but have never used/or furnished any before. Under usual circumstances, would not the hvac furnish these and elect. contractor, supply power for operation. Appreciate help from any of you that have had experience with these. Ron / Central Illinois

The stuff I worked with goes in a 2-3" topping slab. Install it exactly as the instuctions tell you. Test ever section before the concrete s placed, watch it closely during the placement and test it again while th concrete is green.
One section and one circuit won'cover a whole drive way. Carefully as-built the location and the circuits used. Sooner or later some of it fails and someone (hopefully you) will get the call to repair it. I would lay it out so that you can replace it while keeping half the ramp in service.

Driving down an ice covered ramp is not fun.

tkb

I hope they are ready to become one of the power companies best customer. :lol:

BJ Conner

It's cheaper than you think.

It's cheaper than you think.

I hope they are ready to become one of the power companies best customer. :lol:

50 watt/Sqft cost a little to run. Being sued by someone who fell walking on the ramp is more expensive. When one guys Ferrqri slides down the ramp and hits someones MB 600SLS it could be big money.
LAwyers probably dirve Snow.ice melting mat more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.