Electric installation for pool pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsfireman

I've installed a duplex recept. on a post near where the pool pump will plug in.

First Question: I've run 3/4" Liquid Tite for the supply from the panel and it's buried about 12 inches. I told the electrical supply house I bought the wire from what I had and he gave me 12-2 NM w/G . Is this wire suitable since it is in the Liquid Tite? I've read that NM is not for outdoors. This will make me mad if I have to re-run it before inspection.

Second question: The receptacles on the post are not GFCI but the breaker is. I was told that a grounding rod at the post would not be a bad idea so I installed one. I will be running the grounding wire from the rod and clamp up the post through conduit, to the receptacle box. Inside the box is where I'd like to make the joint connection between the two ground wires but I don't know if that is up to code or not. If this is okay, how do I attach the larger ground wire from the rod to the the smaller ground wire sheathed with the 12-2? Do I even need the extra ground rod?

Thanks for any advice.

mclain

Re: Electric installation for pool pump

Lose the ground rod. You should contact a licenced electrician in your area. When it comes to pools there is a lot of requirements. Such as the type of conduit. Rigid metal conduit, Intermediant metal conduit or nonmetallic raceways listed for direct burial without concreate encasement. If it is the nonmetallic raceway it also has to have a burial depth of 18". Local codes might also come into play.

G

It is my opinion that your whole setup from where it leaves the GFI breaker to the receptacle will fail the inspection. Over time it will be unsafe, and may be unsafe from the get go. You need to chuck the whole thing (short of the breaker) and start over. I am sorry to break the news to you. It is too far gone for me to offer any suggestions other than to hire somebody to do the work for you, or to hire somebody who is willing to supervise every step you take. It's that serious.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Thanks for your anwers Mclain and AWWT, I agree 100%.
lsfireman, what concerns me is what else are you not asking? For example running NM cable in an conduit outside is a code violation, the outside conduit underground is a wet location, the NM cable won't last long.

lsfireman

Thanks for your responses. I was very scared to use the NM but you figure going into your local electrical supply house that they would know what is code and what is not. Apparently this person didn't know even the easy stuff. That really upsets me because now I have to start from scratch. While I agree that I could have used an electrician, this job should have been easy enough to do on my own if given the right path to follow.

electricmanscott

Huh and to think I worked as a schlep for four years and went through hundreds of hours of school and then went through testing from the state to become an electrician. I could have just asked a guy at the supply counter! Oddly enough they are ther to sell electrical supplies not to teach weekend wariors how to electrocute themselves.

iwire

Staff member

What do you mean Scott?

Hasn't the guy at the supply house spent 8000 hrs over 4 years in the trade under a licensed electrician, gone to 600 hrs of class so they are eligible to take two separate tests that if they pass they can get a journeyman's license? :roll:

G

Thank you for coming here and asking this question. I felt some of the other answers were condescending, belittling, sarcastic, and non-productive.

To that end I offered a supplemental answer that was matter-of-fact but my supplemental answer came across exactly as I was trying to avoid. It was misconstrued as being mean-spirited. That was never my intention, and I intended the opposite. I failed.

I am sorry if this caused you any anxiety. My intention was to offer an extended answer to give you a little history on NFPA, DIY, swimming pools, etc.

Again, kudos for asking. Good luck with your project. Stay safe. Thank you for watching our backs.

[ September 15, 2003, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: awwt ]

pierre

Isfireman
In keeping with what is or is not code, if the liquidtight is nonmetallic type B, and if it is nonmetallic it most likely is type B, than with the circuit being protected by a GFCI breaker, that part of the installation is correct. The listing of liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit permits it to be buried. 300.5 permits 12 inch burial for a GFCI protected 120volt circuit, with maximum 20 amp circuit protection.
I would yank the ground rod, and pull the NM cable out. You can still use the liquidtight if it is not metallic. If it is metallic, call an electrician as you are already in a hole.

Pierre

jro

Mr Fireman I'm an electrical contractor, do you think I could put out a house fire without any firefigthing training, I think I could, all I would have to do is go down the street and ask a firefighter on the how to, or maybe ask the fire station dispatcher, after all he or she works at a fire station, talking about an electrical installation to a pool is serious stuff and should be left to the experienced electrician/contractor, I agree with Electricmanscott, thinking that you know how is one thing, but having the knowledge and experience is the key, get the picture.

[ September 14, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: jro ]

lsfireman

Gentlemen please relax. If I didn't think I was doing the wrong thing, I wouldn't have asked questions in the first place. I want and fully expect my wiring to be the safest possible for my children. With this said, running a simple electrical circuit is not rocket science. This one just didn't seem right to me and so I'm asking for help and answers not a-hole responses. And as a matter of fact, I used to work in an electrical supply house myself several years ago but have forgotten alot. The men I worked with knew electric and the NEC inside and out and could give advice at the drop of a hat. With your advice I fully plan on seeking professional opinions now. And to the person who seems to believe that electricians are the true firefighters? Please, sir while you may be a fire preventer you are not a firefighter and I would challenge you to the task any day. It's obvious you do not have the people skills to work my profession day in and day out. Thanks for everyone's help, especially those who didn't mind just giving true answers to try and help. I didn't need the arrogant responses from some.

websparky

lsfireman,

Well said!

I sure hope that you never respond to a person in need as you have received here!

I'm sure your skills and training are every bit as valuable as any electrician posting here, if not more so.

My hat is off to you Sir.

jro

Mr. Fireman, I apologize if I offended you in any way, as far as running a simple electrical circuit, once again this should be left to the electrician, there is a saying: "Electrical work is not a hobby, call an electrician", and most homeowners seem to look at electricity as a hobby, but if you could just see some of the work that the do it yourself guy is doing out there, I think you would agree with me, electrical work should be left to the qualified electrician, as for my post I was simply trying to show an example of how electricity in the wrong hands can be deadly, be assured that I know that in your line of work training an experience is the key, we all have a job to do and we all need training and experience, every one of our jobs is just as important as the next guys, from the person sacking groceries to the guy running this country, and every one should take pride in whatever job he or she is doing.

[ September 14, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: jro ]

mclain

If your conduit is located within 5 ft. from the inside wall of your pool. 680.10 of the NEC is used as to type of conduit and minimum burial for the conduit. Not 300.5

lsfireman

Thanks for all the info. guys. I appreciate the apologies and helpful tools given. Since this post I have received numerous rules by electricians. Unfortunately many of them have been contradictory. So I have went straight to the person that has to pass the inspection for me and had him look at it. If I ever need any assistance again, I look forward to hearing your answers. I will be using an electrician but I will also make sure that he performs the installation so that it passes inspection by what the Head Codes guy told me. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.