Electric plugins above lift out ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worked in the audio/vidio field for five years now and cannot get anything but someones opinion on this subject. This is the question. Is it code or not to have a electric receptical ie; a ac plug in above a lift out ceiling if it is a cold air return or not. I run into this when installing projectors for commercial use in offices or class rooms. I am tired of opinions and what an answer from the NEC. If the answer is no, then I also want to know why not. So far it seems to be at the whim of the inspector or the electrician. Please e-mail me the answer at,xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thanks ahead of time I hope to put this to rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

iwire

Staff member
Norman Smith said:
This is the question. Is it code or not to have a electric receptical ie; a ac plug in above a lift out ceiling if it is a cold air return or not.

The NEC does not prohibit receptacles above suspended ceilings.

However 400.8(2) and 400.8(5) do prohibit flexible cords (the power cords of your equipment) above suspended ceilings

wbalsam1

If it isn't possible/permissible to hardwire the projector, and the projector is mounted above the suspended ceiling and comes supplied with a flexible cord, than I'd say that is sure an unintended consequence and a situation badly in need of a code amendment.

iwire

Staff member
buckofdurham said:
Oh, my mistake. I just assumed something would be plugged in to the outlet.

I hear you, but you could plug in a 'wall wart' transformer assuming the ceiling was not an air handling space.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The common solution here is to install a receptacle in the ceilng tile behind the projector. If the ceiling is rather nasty to run power into (e.g. big commercial facility), and electrical modifications are being made prior to the porjector install, you could request to have a circuit run to a dead ended junction box above the ceiling near the projector. Then, once you know exactly where the projector will be mounted, run a flex conduit whip form the J box to a receptacle box in a ceiling tile. This can even be more functional by having an actual receptacle box mounted in the ceiling which you use TEMPORARILY while setting up the projector. Then you just extend it to the ceiling tile when done.

This is kind of akward as far as the trades go, as the AV installer needs to get an electrician back later to run that receptacle on the flex because most won't be licensed to do that kind of work (and it is porbably another permit and inspection). But it is rather trivial to do if the J box is already up there and close.

So guys I still don't get a answer to the issue. That is about what I run into on the job. This might tickle your funny bone as far as government work at Fort Leavenworth is concerned. When we run pipe for communication box's or the jacks that we use, can only be made in the USA! Try finding some of the equipment they request!

wirebender

Norman Smith said:
So guys I still don't get a answer to the issue. That is about what I run into on the job. .......

Did you read iwire's post (#4)? He answered your question and gave the NEC Code sections.

iwire said:
However 400.8(2) and 400.8(5) do prohibit flexible cords (the power cords of your equipment) above suspended ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.