Electric range question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
The existing range has of course a 50 amp cord & receptacle, ok so far. Customer has a new, to them, free-standing range, with a cord installed that is a 30 amp dryer type. The overcurrent protection is for the wire to the receptacle, right? I did not see a nameplate at initial inspection. This is a Kenmore glass top.

So, all that is needed to get the "new" range going is to replace the cord with a 50 amp?

It is early.

Norb

iwire

Staff member
Re: Electric range question

Norb, most likely someone just installed the incorrect cord and cap.

That said look at the name plate and instructions and be sure to follow them.

If the instructions say a 30 amp circuit you will have to change the receptacle and breaker.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Also be sure the receptacle is rated for 50 amps, not 30. They're not interchangeable.

Occupation
Inspector

If the instructions say a 30 amp circuit you will have to change the receptacle and breaker.
I am following this statement, however, just for discussion, why would we need to change the breaker to a smaller size if the unit is smaller. Do we not plug smaller loads into larger circuits all the time, 60watt lamp on 15 amp circuit?

Norb

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by 1793:
I am following this statement, however, just for discussion, why would we need to change the breaker to a smaller size if the unit is smaller. Do we not plug smaller loads into larger circuits all the time, 60watt lamp on 15 amp circuit?

Norb
Because if the unit was tested and listed with 30 amp overcurrent protection there is no guarantee what will happen with a 50 amp OCP.

The wiring on the inside of an appliance is usual protected by the branch circuit breaker.

So, if the unit has an internal fault the breaker needs to open before the internal wiring burns.

Occupation
Inspector

Thanks Bob.
I knew you would be able to set things straight. I fully agree with the changing of the breaker & receptacle if indeed the unit is rated at 30 amps. I enjoy learing the reasons "why". ;)

Norb

Status
Not open for further replies.