Electric Survey for Arc Flash Analysis PPE Requirements

wedge2020

Occupation
EE
When performing an electrical survey for an arc flash analysis, many times hinged doors are swung open so that I can see incoming cables. Is this considered “work” for NFPA 70E?

The arc flash boundary is being crossed, however energized electrical conductors are not being touched.

I ask this because I am trying to determine if a energized electrical work permit is required per NFPA 70E.

Any insight to this is greatly appreciated.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
When performing an electrical survey for an arc flash analysis, many times hinged doors are swung open so that I can see incoming cables. Is this considered “work” for NFPA 70E?

The arc flash boundary is being crossed, however energized electrical conductors are not being touched.

I ask this because I am trying to determine if a energized electrical work permit is required per NFPA 70E.

Any insight to this is greatly appreciated.
Yes, it was considered work by every major organization I did data collection at.
However some smaller companies would treat it similar to performing an infrared study, the person opening the door is exposed to the arc flash hazard.

It is all about the risk analysis.

wedge2020

Occupation
EE
Yes, it was considered work by every major organization I did data collection at.
However some smaller companies would treat it similar to performing an infrared study, the person opening the door is exposed to the arc flash hazard.

It is all about the risk analysis.
How do these smaller companies treat infrared studies?

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It is definitely energized work, an arc-flash analysis is required and the person opening the door to expose live parts should wear whatever PPE is required by the analysis. For someone who remains outside the Restricted Approach Boundary you can make a case that this person doesn't need PPE.

There are exemptions to the need for EWP. See 130.2 in NFPA 70E. Exemption #2: Thermography, ultrasound, or visual inspection if the restricted approach boundary is not crossed. Subject to interpretation, of course. But (IMO) I don't think an EWP would be required if you stay outside the Restricted Approach Boundary. If you are reaching in there to move conductors around to find the wire size, then that's a different situation.