Electric & Telephone line Height requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmueg

I am trying to find out what the height restrictions are for telephone lines and electric lines in Indiana for city streets and alleys. I understand from the IURC that they are regulated by the National Electric Code but cannot find the specific code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Electric & Telephone line Height requirements

The NEC does not normally apply to lines over city streets or alleys. These lines most often owned by the utilities and utilities are not coverd by the NEC. They use the National Electrical Safety Code.
Don

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

The NEC has nothing to do with public property and utilities. Minimum clearance above roads and streets is determined by the utility. Usually this is a very minimum of 15 feet considering that the maximum legal height of a truck can be no more than 14'6".

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The NEC does have clearances, in Art 230 services and Art 225 outside branch circuits and feeders, but they only apply on the customer side of the service point. servcie drop conductors are typically under the control of the serving utility and fall under the NESC. 19 feet is a common clearance. Telephone lines likewise are not rebulated by the NEC, your local phone company will have its own rules it follows.

charlie

Indiana utilities must follow the NESC which is adopted into law. All lines must be at the minimum height under the worst of conditions. Indiana is totally in the heavy loading district. This means we must design for the sag of conductors with 1/2" of radial ice and no wind. We also have to design for the heaviest ampere loading on the hottest day with no wind.

With all that said, you mentioned the city streets and alleys. Is this city owned electric and telephone distribution? In other words, before I answer your question I want to know who owns the conductors. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.