Electric Utility methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post. I recently ran my deep well water line along with the customary UF cable for it's power connection. Since I was crossing the road I took the opportunity and buried a number of rigid pvc conduits below the road at a higher level. Their spec calls for 2" schedule 80 dropping from the meter socket to a point 18" below finish grade. The transformer pad is at a point directly across this road so it is a straight shot. I currently have a sections of 2" schedule 80 starting near the transformer, going under the road and stopping about 15' from the base of the meter socket. At this point it is basically a protective sleeve. I have a pull rope at both ends. Is this something a utility will work with, should I take it further and complete the conduit bend up into the meter socket or do they prefer to disrupt the road again and trench their own path? TIA

mdshunk

There's no way to answer that, since every utility has it's own rules and methods. You need to talk to the Lines Engineering Designer, an employee of the utility, that covers your area for the real scoop.

Thanks for that MD. Let me ask you this then. Is there any problem with pulling their direct burial 200 amp feeder cabling thru a 2" rigid conduit in other then the typical meter drop? I had to expose their main that was feeding a large number of transformer pads and was BLOWN AWAY at how small it was! I assume it was at a much higher voltage to be that small. It was a single cable approx 1 1/2" in diameter with a toner wire about a foot above it. We are on a dead end road on a Great Lake that services at least another 8 lots, and there is a new spur pioneered that could have many more.

mdshunk

LowSparkHighHealed said:
Their spec went on to require minimum 24" burial depth at the top of the conductor so that is the depth I maintained for the conduits.
Yeah, but under roadways that spec typically changes.

I would guess (that's why I did it) that there is nothing physical to prevent them from using my conduit, it's just that I have never watched it being done. I would think they could easily unspool their feeder by just backing up to the location of my pipe near the transformer pad.

One more thought in my defense. The main cable crosses multiple "roads" just like the main road into each lot at the same depth. The main that I exposed was at the same depth.

growler

LowSparkHighHealed said:
should I take it further and complete the conduit bend up into the meter socket or do they prefer to disrupt the road again and trench their own path? TIA

If the road is surfaced ( concrete & asphalt ) they will not mess it up they will just bore under it. If there are not a lot of rocks it's amazing what they can do with that boring machine in a short period of time.

What you really should do is call one of their engineers (POCO) and talk to them? That's what they do for a living and they don't mind working with you.

charlie

You can and did do as you wished to start with. However, if it were for our cable, we require 4 inch PVC in a 36 inch deep trench. We are not going to locate your conduit since we require the ends to be marked. We also require the conduit to be gray. I am guessing that other electric utilities have different rules and most of them have their rules posted on the Internet (we do). You really do need to talk to the serving electric utility and find out what they require for service. :smile:

Thanks, will do. Glad to hear from you! I was just trying to save "the mayor" (self proclaimed head of the assoc) from more fretting about the road, and me some dollars. I have heard that a certain distance is free, but doubt the road crossing will be. I have made a call already to the local utility and was told that we have to call Green Bay office in WI (I'm in upper MI), and then someone has to come out 1st (probably a sub). I bought a mini - excavator so hate to see me paying for another one to work the deal.

I have no idea what may or may not be required by your utility company, your best bet is to look over their website with a fine tooth comb.

This stuff varies greatly by location, I hate to say it but expect the worst as far as cost.

I think I found the website for your utility company. Looks like all of the info is listed on their site. I do have to say that it seems a lot different than what is done out here on the west coast by Pacific Gas and Electric and Pacific Power. Look it all over, it seems that they provide everything (for a price). Out here on the west coast the customer provides trench, sand, backfill, and conduit.

http://www.uppco.com/service/manual_mi.asp

http://www.uppco.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.