Electric Water Heater Closed Loop System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Lauer

In an industrial plant I want to use an electric water heater (208V, 3-phase, 4KW) to supply hot water in a closed loop piping system. Other words no faucets, hot water keeps circulating around and around to keep something from freezing. A guy in the plant says a electric water heater can not be used for this application. I've read NEC article 422 - Appliances and I don't see where it can't be used. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? This project is in MN btw.
Thanks,

iwire

Staff member
As far as the NEC is concerned I would say 110.3(B) would be as close as you get.

However I have no doubt it is addressed directly in your local plumbing / mechanical code. Required expansion tanks etc.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
In an industrial plant I want to use an electric water heater (208V, 3-phase, 4KW) to supply hot water in a closed loop piping system. Other words no faucets, hot water keeps circulating around and around to keep something from freezing. A guy in the plant says a electric water heater can not be used for this application. I've read NEC article 422 - Appliances and I don't see where it can't be used. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? This project is in MN btw.
Thanks,
You are using a water heater to heat water. There is no rule against that. I've seen water heaters used instead of boilers to heat rooms.

It's not just110.3(B) compliance, it's also a good idea. I spoke with the manufacturer of my on-demand water heater, and it was clear that only certain models are listed for closed loops. And that it would be unwise to violate the product's intended usage.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It's not just110.3(B) compliance, it's also a good idea. I spoke with the manufacturer of my on-demand water heater, and it was clear that only certain models are listed for closed loops. And that it would be unwise to violate the product's intended usage.
For an on demand heater I could see it, but for a regular storage tank water heater I can't see a reason not to do it other than some whacky, lawyer inspired bovine scatology.

Status
Not open for further replies.