Electrical Arc Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsHot

Where's the disconnect?

Where's the disconnect?

The guy in the video is asking "where's the shelter" I think someone should have been asking "where's the DISCONNECT! How long did this go on??

electricalperson

thats awesome. something similar happened around here a few months ago but the power company actually maintains there equipment and the reclosure opened before anything really bad happened.

peter d

I don't understand what the lineman was saying. How did 7200 or whatever it is go directly into the house services? Did the lines somehow directly touch the 120/240 triplex on the bottom?

If the 33 kv was knocked into the 7200 volt lines, then immediately it would blow out the 7200 volt transformers, would it not?

electricalperson

peter d said:
I don't understand what the lineman was saying. How did 7200 or whatever it is go directly into the house services? Did the lines somehow directly touch the 120/240 triplex on the bottom?

If the 33 kv was knocked into the 7200 volt lines, then immediately it would blow out the 7200 volt transformers, would it not?
it might not depending on what the transformer is rated. could be a higher rated transformer tapped according to the voltage being supplied. maybe it hit the 120/240 volt lines? hard to tell in the video

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
walkerj said:
In the details of the video, it says a tree-trimmer dropped a limb on the overhead lines
Sounds like he needs to have a good talk with the branch manager. :grin:

Rampage_Rick

GROAN!!! Everybody's a comedian, and they had to use up the good ones first... :grin:

There were some killer arcs starting at 3:30 that would put any jacob's ladder to shame. After that it looked like the gutters of the house were arcing, but I'm still unsure what it was. Christmas lights? or just soffit lighting?

With everything around these guys lighting up it's a wonder nobody got nailed by 2-step potential. There are several instances where someone walks within 10 feet of where you might presume a path to ground might be.

Minuteman

YouTube said:
Whats the name of that power company, Sparky's Electric? If I was in that nighborhood, I would have used my rifle to shoot out the fuse that supplies the step down transformer. That would at least maybe cut power to a house or two, and save them from catching fire.
Yeah, that's what we need. Some idiot trying to open a cutout with a 30-30 by firing shots while tree trimmers and linemen are in buckets. :-?

JohnJ0906

peter d said:

I would guess that by raising the primary voltage from 7.2 kv to 33 kv, it raised the secondary. Just a WAG. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.