Electrical box installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcman

I work for a manufacturer of mobile medical trailers. We are working on incorporating a new "snap lock" design for assembling our trailer walls. The construction of the walls makes coventional means of securing conduit boxes for light switches,outlets and junction boxes impractical. We would like to use a tape or adhesive to secure the electrical boxes to the trailer walls. Could not really find anything in the NEC for or against this type on installation. Looking for help to see if this is ok to do. Thanks.

sc57ford

Re: Electrical box installations

Art. 314.23 requires boxes to be rigidly and securely fastened in place. I haven't seen any adhesive capable of doing that, although there may be some out there. There is an adhesive that bodyshops use to glue metal to metal, however, I'm not sure it will work in your instance.

roger deas

Arcman, just out of curiosity, are you going to have these units third party tested.

In the city I primarily work in, any mobile MRI, lithotripsy, tactical imaging, etc... must have a UL, ETL, or some listing as a unit.

I would think this could come under art 551.

If this is the case 551.40(B) may be a problem. If anyone could come up with an approved velcro installation,they would be a wealthy person. :D

Roger

[ April 15, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: roger deas ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

There was once an adhesive for securing metal boxes to concrete, wood, and other pourous material.

I think it was acceptable for the purpose, but never caught on.

I suggest contacting some of the manufacturers of glue and adhesives.

peter

A good dose of epoxy would be strong enough. But are the walls of the trailer metal? Then maybe you would have to have some sort of electrical bond. Perhaps solder or spot weld.
~Peter

physis

I'm thinking a locking connector would be better than a junction box here? I haven't checked against code, but it sounds right.

Status
Not open for further replies.