Electrical Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRaley

Part of my job is to do monthly power audits at a data center. I use an ammeter and take branch circuit, as well as, feeder readings. I need to know this: when I read current draw on the hot legs of a 2 pole 208V, 30A breaker I have the 2 amp readings. Now I've read that you can not simply add these values together, that some other calculation has to take place. These branch circuits are in a PDU- 3-wire 480v to 208/120v. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When a load is supplied by a 2-pole breaker, the current leaving the source on one breaker pole will pass through the load, then return to the source via the other breaker pole. In one sense, it is the same current, so it makes no sense to add the two numbers. When you are dealing with 2-poles from a 3-phase system, the situation is not so easy. You have current leaving one pole with one particular set of timing for its positive peaks, its zero crossings, and its negative peaks. The current that passes through the load and returns to the source via the other pole will have the timing of its peaks and zero crossings ahead of (or behind) the other set by one third of a cycle (i.e., 120 degrees out of phase).

The way to do the math is to convert everything to units of KVA, then add them arithmetically, then convert back to current. For example, if on one 2-pole load you measure 18 amps, you count that as 18 amps times 208 volts, or 3744 VA. Do the same for all other loads on the panel, keeping clear whether you are talking about a single pole load (multiple amps times 120 volts), a 2-pole load (per my example), or a 3-pole load (multiply amps times 208 volts times the square root of 3). When you get a total VA, and if you want to calculate a ?total? current, you divide the total VA by 208 volts, then divide again by the square root of 3.

Welcome to the forum.

BRaley

Thank you very much. Sometimes I have to take amp readings on just one 2 pole breaker. So, what is the most accurate value I can give the customer? I realize it's not exact, but I guess from your explanation, I actually just need to be " in the ballpark" when I have to report this information.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I'm not sure I follow. If you measure one load only, and it is a 2-pole load, then that measured value is what you tell them. The two values on the two poles should be very close, so I would report the average of the two. Giving the sum of the two would definitely be wrong. If the two numbers are far apart, then you have a problem with the equipment somewhere.

brian john

Utilizing an hand held current meter (TRUE RMS) that is(?) or is not(?) calibrated regularly has a certain percentage of error much less how you center the conductor and are you at an exact 90 degree to the conductor. Try using 3 different meters if you want a real discussion on accuracy).

Like the hot dog Ballpark and you are close enough for some kind of work.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
BR, welcome to the zoo! :smile:

If you're asking about an individual 1-ph branch circuit, the readings on the two lines should match, unless there is some neutral current.

The 3-phase current numbers only come into play when combining the multiple 1-ph loads for feeder currents, which can also be measured.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Charlie,

I have memorized your equation

"√(A?+B?+C?)-(A*B+B*C+A*C)"
The way you have it typed, it appears the square root function is only applied to the first parenthetically-enclosed part of the equation.

That equation would be better typed as:
√[A?+B?+C?-(A*B+B*C+A*C)], or
√(A?+B?+C?–A*B–B*C–A*C)​

Status
Not open for further replies.