Electrical Charging Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC Code is not clear in regards to distance of placement of the EV charging station from a hazardous area (Class I, Div II). The locations I am working on happen to be in existing fueling facilities (your corner Gas Station).
Need some direction for design and clearances ad interpectation of the code.
Thanks
Ric Francais

dicklaxt

I assume that you are talking about an Electric Vehicle charging station,if so the spec sheet on the unit ought to have the doc compliance you need to work to.These are relatively new to the world of the corner gas station,,,,,,I wouldn't seek 2nd hand advice on this issue, I'd go straight to the manufacturer,,,JMO.

dick

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Article 514 describes electrical area classification and fundamental modifications to Art 501 installations in fuel dispensing locations. Basically, unless the charging stations are suitable [see Section 500.8(A)] for Class I locations, keep them out.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
NEC Code is not clear in regards to distance of placement of the EV charging station from a hazardous area (Class I, Div II). The locations I am working on happen to be in existing fueling facilities (your corner Gas Station).
Need some direction for design and clearances ad interpectation of the code.
Thanks
Ric Francais

[h=4]V. Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Locations[/h] 625.28 Hazardous (Classified) Locations. Where electric vehicle supply equipment or wiring is installed in a hazardous (classified) location, the requirements of Articles 500 through 516 shall apply.
625.29 Indoor Sites. Indoor sites shall include, but not be limited to, integral, attached, and detached residential garages; enclosed and underground parking structures; repair and non-repair commercial garages; and agricultural buildings.
(A) Location. The electric vehicle supply equipment shall be located to permit direct connection to the electric vehicle

(B) Repair Garages, With Dispensing. Major and minor repair garages that dispense motor fuels into the fuel tanks of vehicles, including flammable liquids having a flash point below 38?C (100?F) such as gasoline, or gaseous fuels such as natural gas, hydrogen, or LPG, shall have the dispensing functions and components classified in accordance with Table 514.3(B)(1) in addition to any classification required by this section. Where Class I liquids, other than fuels, are dispensed, the area within 900 mm (3 ft) of any fill or dispensing point, extending in all directions, shall be a Class I, Division 2 location.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I always put them near the vacuums or air compressors, because those areas are outside the classified areas. Since the car is going to sit there for 30 minutes to 4 hours, no need to put it up close to pumps. I also stay away from the fill areas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.