Electrical Classification per state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Just curious , What is the classification for your state to perform electrical Installations.
Is it the same for most states.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in New Jersey you need to be a Licensed Electrical Contractor to pull a permit to do electrical installations, there is no master electricians license here. Once you pull the permit you can get pretty much anyone to do the work. Flippers are the worst they often pay for someone to sign and seal the permits and then they have the sheetrocker, laborer, taper, mason, or someone off of the street to do the work. There is also a journeyman's license.

garbo

Just curious , What is the classification for your state to perform electrical Installations.
Is it the same for most states.
Pa does not have state electrical license so some larger areas might have a few additions to nec. Philadelphia is using 2017 NEC for 1 & 2 family dwellings & rest in 2014 NEC. Heard that some small area's if you obtain a general contractors license you can pull plumbing & electrical permits. Best to ask local AHJ.In most cases they are glad to talk to you and answer any question.

kwired

Electron manager
I guess I should of been more specific, are most Electrical Contractors across the nation classified as a C10 like in California.
Maybe you could explain what a C10 is and what they can or can not do. Guessing it is a classification that allows you to do contracting on most if not any type of project. Might be another classification of contractor that is limited to residential only or some specific types of equipment installations only.

As Tom said in post 2 we primarily have Contractors and Journeymen here. They did away with "Masters" years ago, though anyone holding one that is still living or at least has continued to renew it still has one but they do not issue new masters licenses.

They once had residential contractor and residential journeyman licenses, did away with them at one point also but I believe they did bring them back. But most that would even have any interest in holding those licenses are in our two largest cities.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Maybe you could explain what a C10 is and what they can or can not do
Compliments of California CSLB.

Basically a generalized classification, allowing for up to 600V , Data etc ..
C-10 - Electrical Contractor
California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

An electrical contractor places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.

Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Wow ... I just checked online and it seems my state is the only one calling an Electrical Contractor a C10, I suppose I should of made my site name
" Another Electrician "

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wow ... I just checked online and it seems my state is the only one calling an Electrical Contractor a C10, I suppose I should of made my site name
" Another Electrician "
Yes with the exception of this Forum most of us have never heard of a C-10.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
In Georgia, it’s class one, which I believe is 400 amps and under. I think it’s kinda residential license. Then Class two, which is unrestricted, you can do anything from a shack to a high rise. You can run as many people you want under that license.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here in Florida there are a massive number of license types for electrical contractors.

First of all you can get a statewide license (called a certified license) which allows you to do electrical work anywhere in the state. Or you can get a county licence (called a registered license) which allows you to only perform work in that county. I've heard the county license test is a tiny bit easier, but I'm not sure.

For both statewide and county licenses you can get an unlimited license which allows you to do any type of electrical work or you can get a specialty license which limits you to doing work in that specialty. The specialty tests are easier than the unlimited test which is why anyone would bother with them. I personally have a certified unlimited license. It didn't make sense to me to try for anything else.

License types (both certified and registered):
Unlimited electrical - this licensee can do any electrical work including all of the work types below.
Alarm system I
Alarm system II
Residential specialty
Utility line specialty
Lighting maintenance specialty
(Electric) Sign specialty
Limited energy specialty
Solar specialty

Here's a cool little chart showing the scope of each license.

Master electrician is not an official term and is not used by any jurisdictions. It is however used loosely in the trade to designate anybody who is an electrical contractor. I call myself a master electrician on my business card since I think it makes a positive impression to the public (and it sounds cool :) ).

I believe that a journeyman license test is still available. 20 years ago it was required but no longer. I currently serves no purpose except to prove to your employer that you have a certain skill level. Nonunion electricians are more likely to have one since union electricians get a journeyman designation from the union that is trusted by employers. An electrical contractor can hire anyone with or without electrical training to do electrical work as long as they monitor and are responsible for what that person does under their license. I've seen unskilled persons trained to do one task like install a switch and allowed to go install switches on a large project.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Compliments of California CSLB.

Basically a generalized classification, allowing for up to 600V , Data etc ..
C-10 - Electrical Contractor
California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

An electrical contractor places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.

Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)
Though I don't do medium voltage installations, the contractor license I have allows me to do any electrical work you can imagine.

Those that have the residential only version are limited to working up to 4 family dwelling and 400 amps or less. Don't know why 400 amps, maybe because 310.15(B)(7) only applies to 400 amps max?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Though I don't do medium voltage installations, the contractor license I have allows me to do any electrical work you can imagine.

Those that have the residential only version are limited to working up to 4 family dwelling and 400 amps or less. Don't know why 400 amps, maybe because 310.15(B)(7) only applies to 400 amps max?

My unlimited license allows me to build any installation, but I cannot get a permit for a design I have drawn that is larger than 400 amps. Larger installations must be designed (or at least signed by) an electrical engineer.

kwired

Electron manager
From State Electrical Act:

81-2102. Terms, defined.
(8) Electrical contractor means a person having the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge to properly plan, lay out, install, and supervise the installation of wiring, apparatus, and equipment for electric light, heat, power, and other purposes and who is licensed by the board;
(13) Journeyman electrician means a person having the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge to wire for or install electrical wiring, apparatus, and equipment and to supervise apprentice electricians and who is licensed by the board;

There is no engineering requirement, some projects may have reasons to require an engineer but it doesn't come from state electrical licensing authority.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In California, a state issued C-10 license is required and California does not accept licenses from other states. But Nevada, Utah and Arizona have one-way reciprocity, meaning a C-10 license holder can work in those states.

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
In Tennessee we have 2 licences.
Limited License Electrician LLE can work in all but the 5 largest counties and a few cities and cannot have any 1 invoice greater than 25,000.00. You can legally have a total job for $100,000.00 or more but no invoice greater than 25,000.00. With this license you can do any electrical work.
CE, or masters license can do any electrical work . Tennessee also has a reciprocal agreement with (8?) surrounding, close states.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I believe that a journeyman license test is still available. 20 years ago it was required but no longer.
The only place I worked that required Jman license was Pinellas County, there may have been a few more but it was not a statewide requirement.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.