Electrical Collectibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

What are your favorite electrical collectibles?

I started out trying to collect old NEC's and soon found myself purchasing any old (pre WWII) books on electricity. I know have about 15 previous code editions and nearly 50 books some as old as 1870.

I also went through a light-bulb phase and obtained several dozen vintage lamps. Old Edison, GE, Westinghouse, and other styles are neat to display. I have also gathered some other gadgets such as an old 1930 meter, some knob-and-tube pieces, and old insulators and open switches. I mounted them on boards to display in my classes.

My newest discovery is antique lightning rods. I recently returned from a trip to Upstate NY where I was able to pickup some remarkable old lightning rods. Many can be seen on old barns and houses dating to before 1900. One particular one I obtained is nearly 28" tall from base to point. The base is twisted and decortive iron, the rod itself is copper around 19" long. Where the rod meets the base there is a glass ball with copper sleeves. The glass ball is around 6" round. The other one I picked up is only around 8" tall and is entirely iron. It has a small blue ceramic octagon half way up from the base. The iron is quite decorative on this one too. I don't see these often here in Florida. I hope to get back to NY in the winter to see if I can find more. I like them alot.

speedypetey

Re: Electrical Collectibles

I have a few light bulbs, insulators, porcelain Dutch wirenuts, etc. But my favorite is my key box.

I had to rip out an old panel box, probably from the turn of the century to the teens. It was in a building in Kingston, NY. One of the older cities in NY and the original capitol. Several buildings/homes still exist from the 1600's
It had old Frankenstein switches in it and still in use!
It was an old Crouse-Hinds box about 18"x18" and solid oak. Only the front was visible and panited over about 20 times. I removed the box from the wall and the sides against the framing were perfect golden oak.
Well, I stripped the box down and refinished it and put 6 key hooks in the back. It came out so nice.
It hangs in my newly renovated kitchen. My wife even loves it.

iwire

Staff member

Fire Alarm Master Boxes.

The old telegraph type not the new radio boxes those are boring. :p

I only have one full size box but I also have a pull station that works the same way.

Man_Pull-2.jpg

Man_Pull-3.jpg

It is spring wound with a coded wheel to ring the bells in a set pattern to identify it;s location.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Bob,

This looks like an old ACME coded manual station. I'm sure they still have plenty of these in NYC. Many of the buildings are old and are "grandfathered in" and they haven't made changes to their systems since they were built. If Pierre reads this thread I'm sure he'll be able to chime in. These devices were a good (and relatively inexpensive) idea at the time they were installed (around the time of the NY World's Fair in the early 1960's) and obviously served a useful purpose in smaller hi-rise buildings. If they were installed properly, they reported in a "shunt, non-interfering" format meaning that if more than one station were activated, the closest one to the main panel would report properly without interference from others. Some of these stations were also manufactured as a "pre-signal" type station where activation would only sound bells in a designated area. After activation, a fire brigade would investigate the area and if there was a legit circumstance they would insert a key and reactivate the station and evacuate the building. These were mainly used in hospitals or in large buildings like the Port Authority Bus Terminal where a mass evacuation would cause panic. In many cases they also had a "strap-key" box associated with them whereby a fireman (years ago - before walkie talkies) could signal down to another fireman to increase or decrease water pressure in the standpipe system. It was merely an interface with the closed manual station circuit and a turn of the key would allow the single stroke gong to ring say two raps for increase and one for decrease. The test port in the front of the station does the same thing. Turning the key to the "box" position allows you to test the mechanical portion of the box without sounding an alarm. Turning to the "gong" position allows you to rap the gong one time. You might find a market for these if you go onto E-Bay. I'm sure you'll find someone still servicing these things.

If you happen to remove any Gamewell municipal (cottage shell) boxes I believe they are worth a few $$$.(Especially at firehouses) Many years ago (I don't want to date myself) I attended some classes at the Gamewell factory up near you in Framingham and one of the technicians made a lamp from a cottage shell box. You had to open the door and pull down the lever in order for the lamp to go on and off. Pretty inventive idea.

By the way, these boxes, even though they were mechanical by design, reported in a positive, non-interfering successive manner meaning that if more than one box were activated at one time, all codes would be reported without interference from other transmitters. Many towns down here in NJ still have these or the Harrington brand.

Regards,

Phil
Gold Star Electric

zog

I collect fulgerites, hard to find but fun to look at. Old glass insulators are a great collector item if you like to hike.

speedypetey....we took one of those panels out of an infirmary over here in orange county...it was more like furniture than elec. equip.!! nice oak...porc. handles on the switches...
found a home in my old boss' office.
bill

Status
Not open for further replies.