electrical conduit and plumbing in same trench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin L Lewis

I am running a feed down to a dock for a boat hoist and the owner started installing plumbing for a fresh water supply in my trench. I halted all operations and requested time to check the code. Could not find anything in the code regarding running electrical and plumbing in the same trench. Can someone help me locate?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sometimes the plumbing codes or the electric utility (for service conductors) might have an issue with it. But it is not an NEC issue.

Buck Parrish

Well pump installers do it all the time. They even use individual conductors in the ditch some times. I have had to sleeve them when they come up under the house. Where the water storage tank and pressure switch is.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
As long as there is reasonable clearance around the electrical ( if the trench is big enough ) then it should not be a problem. If you dug the trench and other trades are trying to hijack your trench then I say let them wait till your done with your portion of the job.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
acrwc10 said:
As long as there is reasonable clearance around the electrical ( if the trench is big enough ) then it should not be a problem. If you dug the trench and other trades are trying to hijack your trench then I say let them wait till your done with your portion of the job.

What is reasonable clearance? And why can't the two be right next to, or right on top of each other?

480sparky

Some utilities here don't allow (meaning: local codes) the water and electric services to be in the same trench. A minimum of 36" is required. This is on the services coming in only. Once you get into the house, they don't care.

infinity said:
What is reasonable clearance? And why can't the two be right next to, or right on top of each other?

I think the reasoning would be that if you had to dig one of them up to fix it, you could damage the other one if you didn't know it was there. Or you could damage the other in the process of repairing the one. True, a One-Call locate would identify both in the same trench, but not everyone makes the call.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
infinity said:

Reasonable clearance IMO is what ever it takes to not hit two separate services with one swing of a pick. Imagine hitting a plastic gas line and an electric line in one hit, you might not survive the outcome. :cool: We have hit gas lines that were miss marked by the utility co. even if it becomes the utility's fault that doesn't take away an injury. :cool:

Jim W in Tampa

I would be ok with it if i have mine in pvc but with uf there is risk off getting cut by a repair to water line.NEC cares not.

Had problem once over this cause owner at last minute needed a 120 at pump for water softner.I could not risk hiyying my own wire or his water line. I never want to run uf again

Last edited:

wireman71

You mentioned a feed? Is this a sub panel? And is the plumbing after the water disconnect? If so then it seems that you don't have any POCO or water company issues. Might be some local codes to abide by though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Using the information provided by the OP I would say that you can run both the water and electric in the same trench. As others have mentioned you may want to consider separation if digging in the future is a possibility. But since the owner wants only one trench than any future problems would become his problem.

charlie

480sparky said:
I think the reasoning would be that if you had to dig one of them up to fix it, you could damage the other one if you didn't know it was there. Or you could damage the other in the process of repairing the one.
Yep, that is why the NESC requires separation from the gas line of one foot. I don't know about the water and sewer (I don't have a copy of the NESC with me) but the power and communications can be random lay (in the same trench without any intentional separation). If I were installing them, I would give them a lateral clearance of at least one foot. As stated before though, the NEC is silent on this subject. This is where another code or common sense has to prevail. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.