Electrical Cord Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

kconger

I do electrical safety audits in our production facilities. Over the last several years many of the facilities have used electrical cord drops more and more because of the amount of time saved on installations. Because this is related to production there are no electrical inspections performed. I feel that they should be used only when it makes sense. While NEC 400.1 makes allowances for cord usageage, ken.conger@autolivasp.com it should be an exception and not a rule. I have also required that PM's be performed on the cords on at least an annual basis. Any thoughts?

bphgravity

Re: Electrical Cord Drops

The code allows alot of lee-way for facilities with "supervised industrial installations". The safety and mangement team will ultimately be responsible for all installations regardless if inspected or not. If you are performing regular maintenance and inspection of the electrical equipment, I see no issue with this type of installations. I have been a consultant and contractor for a 30-acre facility that is inspection exempt for its "agricultural status". We have had to do alot of as builts and field modifications to suite the application that the code doesn't even begin to cover in its scope. Sounds like you are being practical and careful. Keep a good log of all worked performed and PM checks and you should be okay.

[ March 24, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

renosteinke

Re: Electrical Cord Drops

Cord drops- in particular, those that end with a cord cap, not a box- often make a lot of sense. The plug goes where it's needed, not in the way, or likely to be tripped over, is readilly accessible, and there is a certain amount of "play" that prevents damage when it's bumped into.

Status
Not open for further replies.