Electrical Enclosure on Remote Condensing Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

The only item required to be "readily accessible" from the air conditioning and refrigeration equipment is the disconnecting means. This is per article 440.

I am looking at a remote condensing unit that has the disconnecting means located at ground level, within sight of the refrigeration equipment and in compliance with the article 100 definition of "readily accessible".

However, the rest of the electrical enclosure is mounted with the equipment, which is around 10 feet in the air. Is this installation compliant?

To clarify, the equipment itself is not readily accessible. The disconnecting means is readily accessible. Is the disconnecting means the only thing required to be readily accessible?

kwired

Electron manager
The only item required to be "readily accessible" from the air conditioning and refrigeration equipment is the disconnecting means. This is per article 440.

I am looking at a remote condensing unit that has the disconnecting means located at ground level, within sight of the refrigeration equipment and in compliance with the article 100 definition of "readily accessible".

However, the rest of the electrical enclosure is mounted with the equipment, which is around 10 feet in the air. Is this installation compliant?

To clarify, the equipment itself is not readily accessible. The disconnecting means is readily accessible. Is the disconnecting means the only thing required to be readily accessible?

440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the Air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(s).

It says what it says, but I'd guess there is variances in how that it interpreted or enforced by AHJ's.

I'd say art 100 definition is modified a little for this application by the wording "from the air-contiditioning ..." and that may mean the disconnect need not totally meet art 100 definition but needs to be readily accessible when at the equipment served.

Disconnect 10 feet below is within sight, but is not readily accessible from the air conditioning equipment either. Take it however you wish, or at least however the AHJ wishes.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It says what it says, but I'd guess there is variances in how that it interpreted or enforced by AHJ's.

I'd say art 100 definition is modified a little for this application by the wording "from the air-contiditioning ..." and that may mean the disconnect need not totally meet art 100 definition but needs to be readily accessible when at the equipment served.

Disconnect 10 feet below is within sight, but is not readily accessible from the air conditioning equipment either. Take it however you wish, or at least however the AHJ wishes.

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being
reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections
without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite
to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable
ladders, and so forth.

My take would be that it is readily accessible from the A/C equipment if you can get to it directly without having to remove obstacles or bringing in some kind of ladder or other equipment to gain access, because that is how article 100 defines "readily accessible".

if there is a way to get from the equipment to the disconnect without bringing in extra equipment (for instance - there is a permanent ladder from the floor to the equipment), you are fine IMO, NEC wise. Now whether it meets other codes is another issue.

fifty60

The remote condensing unit is only a part of the overall refrigeration equipment. So, looking at the equipment as a whole, the disconnect being located at ground level would be readily accessible as defined in the NEC.

I don't think there has ever been any problem with the disconnect being located there, but I do see you point as to its relation to the equipment being served. The problem that has come up in the past is that the rest of the electrical sub panel also has to be located at floor level.

There are pressure switches that need to be adjusted, but not on a normal operating basis. The AHJ in the past has said that all of the controls have to be readily accessible.

My initial reaction is, no only the disconnect has to be readily accessible.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The AHJ in the past has said that all of the controls have to be readily accessible.

My initial reaction is, no only the disconnect has to be readily accessible.

I would suggest this. When you say "AHJ" are you referring to some kind of inspector? If so, they are NOT the AHJ. They may not even work for the AHJ.

No inspector, regardless of what he thinks, has the authority to enforce non-existent code provisions. If he is saying all of the controls have to be readily accessible, he needs to tell you what code provision actually requires that. It could be true. Maybe another code that has been adopted by that jurisdiction requires it, or maybe that jurisdiction has added some requirements that are not in any code. But, it is not to be found in the NEC.

fifty60

Thanks for the information, it is helping me look at this differently than I was originally. Also, what is the "mechanical code for workman's platform" requirement?

Would it be a correct statement to say that "From the NEC standpoint, all of the controls to the chamber could be located in a different room under lock and key, and do not have to be "readily accessible" as defined by article 100?"

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks for the information, it is helping me look at this differently than I was originally. Also, what is the "mechanical code for workman's platform" requirement? I don't know if this is required or not. It was something another poster suggested. IME, it is pretty common to see this type of equipment on a mezzanine level that is not accessible without bringing in a ladder or portable stairs.

Would it be a correct statement to say that "From the NEC standpoint, all of the controls to the chamber could be located in a different room under lock and key, and do not have to be "readily accessible" as defined by article 100?"
I think that it is fair to say the NEC generally does not have any requirements as to where control panels and components for this kind of system are physically located, or whether they are accessible, or how close they have to be to the controlled equipment.

That does not mean you can put them anywhere you please. You still have issues with required working space for instance, if that is applicable.

mgookin

... Also, what is the "mechanical code for workman's platform" requirement?

In your OP you seemed to ask if it is compliant to install a condenser 10' in the air. I believe the mechanical code is going to require access and a workmen's platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.