Electrical Equipment in an IT/Data Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

Is there any NFPA or IBC Code that prohibits placing electrical equipment that does not serve an IT/Data room in an IT/Data Room? I know for Hospitals the Facilities Guideline Institute (FGI) has this restriction. Only Electrical Equipment that serves the IT/Data Room can be placed there, other electrical equipment is prohibited. But I have a project for a Business Type Occupancy where the client wants to put the Generator Annunciator Panel in the IT Room and I want to make sure code allows this. In this case the generator annunciator panel does not serve the IT/Data Room in anyway.

paulengr

No Codes for IT specifically.

Only thing to watch out for is mixing general wiring with Chapter 7 (class 1/2/3) wiring. That is Code/law..

As a practical matter IEEE has a standard on sensitive electronic equipment grounding. Basically enclose everything in a Faradsy cage (metal enclosed) and have independent bonding that connects back to a common point at the system bonding point. That way noise in the general wiring is physically isolated from the electronics. Granted the big problem these days is switching power supplies. This is voluntary.

So if the generator panel is fed by wiring in metal raceways or shielded wiring and mounted in metallic boxes insulated from the electronic raceways. Comms between them should be differential (ungrounded) communications such as RS-485, CAN, or Ethernet protocols or fiber.

Shujinko

The only NEC prohibition might be 645.4(6), but if you're not actually going the 645 route, it doesn't apply.
In my case the IT/Data room is a satellite IT Room (IDF). I believe NEC 645 wouldn't apply for this, I would be under the provisions of NEC 800. NEC 645 is for a main data center, article 800 is more for satellite IT rooms the way I under stand it. We would have to look at the definition of an ITE Room NEC 645 vs Communications Room NEC 800.

As I understand it, you aren't forced to use 645, if you elect to use it's permissions you have to follow the rest of it; otherwise, you've just got a room with a bunch of computers. Read it closely. (An IDF generally would be 645'd, just follow the usual wiring methods.)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If this genset is used as an Article 700 system the annunciator must be in an area visible to all such as a lobby or hallway (similar to a fire alarm panel).
See NFPA 110.

Shujinko

If this genset is used as an Article 700 system the annunciator must be in an area visible to all such as a lobby or hallway (similar to a fire alarm panel).
See NFPA 110.
This generator only has NEC 702 loads on it (Optional Stand-by) so I believe it's not required to follow NFPA 110 since that code/standard is for Level 1 and Level 2 systems only. This generator is neither of those.

Shujinko

As I understand it, you aren't forced to use 645, if you elect to use it's permissions you have to follow the rest of it; otherwise, you've just got a room with a bunch of computers. Read it closely. (An IDF generally would be 645'd, just follow the usual wiring methods.)
From what I am reading in NEC Section 645.4 you only have to comply with this section if you're trying to use an alternate wiring method than what is required in NEC 708, 725, or 770. But I am not trying to utilize an alternate wiring method in this project, therefore Section 645.4 wouldn't apply.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This generator only has NEC 702 loads on it (Optional Stand-by) so I believe it's not required to follow NFPA 110 since that code/standard is for Level 1 and Level 2 systems only. This generator is neither of those.
Got it. Then you could put the annuciator any where you want. Or not even have one if not desired.
And the room you are describing is nothing more than a room with some IT equipment. Art. 645 has no meaning here.

Status
Not open for further replies.