Electrical Estimating software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this board. I saw a post on this same topic, but it had been closed. I don't know why, so, figured I would try to start another. I am considering buying a new estimating system, and wondered what everyone else uses, good, and bad points, experiences etc.

I am a small contractor, primarily doing commercial work, tenant build out, fit ups, radio station work, some generators, etc.

Thanks

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Any help would be greatly appreciated

My ancient old Fred Flintsone estimating system that I had been using for over 20 years just crashed. I had been planning on a software system upgrade for some time now, but was just to comfortable I guess with my old system. That, and I had 20 years worth of data, and modified asseblies in it. The kind of stuff that would not transfer over to a new windows based OS without days and days of manual data entry.

So, now I am forced to make a move, any suggestions????? PLEASE.

Anybody using Jaffe software?

satcom

Wire 2 Race said:
My ancient old Fred Flintsone estimating system that I had been using for over 20 years just crashed. I had been planning on a software system upgrade for some time now, but was just to comfortable I guess with my old system. That, and I had 20 years worth of data, and modified asseblies in it. The kind of stuff that would not transfer over to a new windows based OS without days and days of manual data entry.

So, now I am forced to make a move, any suggestions????? PLEASE.

Anybody using Jaffe software?

It's funny when an estimating pro comes on the project, the first thing he does is turn off the computer, gets out his personal records usually assy data sheets kept in binders for easy access, your company spent how much for this software? then they prepare a simple take off sheet, and go about their business of estimating, funny how they are able to come in with right on bids with the old methods.

In my opinion, a carefull walk thru with good notes, and heavy field expierence, has more value, then all the software out there.

Last edited:

mdshunk

satcom said:
In my opinion, a carefull walk thru with good notes, and heavy field expierence, has more value, then all the software out there.
Yup-yup! Matter of fact, historical data combined with personal experience is my normal method.

cadpoint

Wire 2 Race said:
I am new to this board. I saw a post on this same topic, but it had been closed. I don't know why, so, figured I would try to start another.
Thats what your suppose to do. Its some x number of days till a thread / post closes!

I am considering buying a new estimating system, and wondered what everyone else uses, good, and bad points, experiences etc.
Why didn't you search more here for some boosts, err posts of - on estimating. ??? Search here using various words and combinations of words on your subject matter. What did you think of what you'll read so far?

I am a small contractor, primarily doing commercial work, tenant build out, fit ups, radio station work, some generators, etc.
Sounds like your know your market, Enjoy your reading & Welcome to the Forum!

cadpoint

I bought this: the national construction estimator / electrical.

I don't have years of experience in the job, applications or experience Vs. time. Or the time (in any respects) that'd match anything earlier said.

Frankly, its a private matter thats not talked publicly here... shhhhhhh ...

But your can still search ... :grin:

wamegojim

mdshunk said:
historical data combined with personal experience is my normal method.

That is a great way to check for accuracy. Doesn't mean using the computer is incorrect either.

Pencil and paper works when the power goes out but I still remember my big transposition error.

Get demos of any of the software you might be considering and perhaps a trial period.

Rawls007

cadpoint said:
I bought this: the national construction estimator / electrical.

I don't have years of experience in the job, applications or experience Vs. time. Or the time (in any respects) that'd match anything earlier said.

Frankly, its a private matter thats not talked publicly here... shhhhhhh ...

But your can still search ... :grin:

This is what I've been using for about 3 years now. Another buddy of mine has been using it for about five. For the price, you can't beat it. Very easy to use and I just can't see spending $1500 plus when you can get this software for about $30. Maybe if you're bidding on very large and complicated projects but for all residential and light commercial bids it works just fine. The labor calculations are fairly accurate as long as you're working with experienced and well motivated electricians in an ideal setting. With experience you'll learn to make adjustments based on your own work crew and conditions. The material pricing is usually a little high for my area but this is also easily adjusted as you go.

satcom

Rawls007 said:
This is what I've been using for about 3 years now. Another buddy of mine has been using it for about five. For the price, you can't beat it. Very easy to use and I just can't see spending $1500 plus when you can get this software for about $30. Maybe if you're bidding on very large and complicated projects but for all residential and light commercial bids it works just fine. The labor calculations are fairly accurate as long as you're working with experienced and well motivated electricians in an ideal setting. With experience you'll learn to make adjustments based on your own work crew and conditions. The material pricing is usually a little high for my area but this is also easily adjusted as you go.

A good way to go until you build your own actuals data.

Status
Not open for further replies.