electrical fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have heard all about "the investigation revealed that it was an electrical fire"

This may be a dumb question, but how does an electrical fire happen?

1. Wire is undersized overtime the insulation melts the copper comes in contact with combustable material then fire?

2. Connection start going bad, the insulation melts, then the box catches on fire?

3. Same as #2 without a junction box, the attic insulation catches on fire?

What REALLY needs to happen for an electrical fire?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have heard all about "the investigation revealed that it was an electrical fire"

This may be a dumb question, but how does an electrical fire happen?

1. Wire is undersized overtime the insulation melts the copper comes in contact with combustable material then fire?

2. Connection start going bad, the insulation melts, then the box catches on fire?

3. Same as #2 without a junction box, the attic insulation catches on fire?

What REALLY needs to happen for an electrical fire?

If nothing else obvious is found, more often than not any fire will be blamed on an electrical malfunction.

renosteinke

I suppose that, in the best of circumstances, all they can really say is that a fire started at an appliance, or some electrical component. This, in turn, usually seems to mean that something electrical got hot, and lit whatever hapened to be near it.

For example, a halogen 'torchiere' has a bit of curtain blown over it, and the drapery ignites. "Electrical fire."

Less obvious, but suppose a light fixture is marked 'max bulb 60W' and they've put 100's in. Over time, the wires in the box cook, dry out, and the insulation falls off. When a bulb is replaced, the wires are disturbed and a high-impedance fault occurs. Hot wire ignites bits of insulation, and it spreads. Now, there's a more honest 'electrical fire.'

When the 'powers that be' looked at old homes for electrical problems, the results were no surprise to those of us in the field. Either everything was perfectly acceptable, or the 'errors' were so basic as to have been "wrong" a century ago. Overfusing, over-lamping, wires abraded against sharp edges, etc.

After reading the entire study, I was left thinking we could revert to the 1965 NEC and get along quite happily. It sort of makes you wonder about all the changes we've found to be 'necessary.' That study didn't find anything to suggest that placing staples too far apart was a problem .... but they found plenty of 3-prong receptacles on 2-wire circuits! They didn't even find any failing ceiling fan installations - which makes me question the need for a code section on the topic. Nor was there anything found to suggest these older homes were in dire need of AFCI's.

All this tends to confirm that "electrical" fires are not anywhere near as common as the statistics might suggest. If somone tosses out even the most basic conventions - say, by bypassing the fuse, putting 50 amps through #16 extension cords, daisy-chained through power strips to banks of HPS lights in their attic grow-op - I'm not convinced the resulting fire has 'electrical' as the root cause.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
A friend told me about a building that caught fire and would need some electrical stuff replaced and suggested that one of the EC's I work for go bid the work.

But....I had some questions.

The story is that the fire was started by a flourescent light fixture that was off. I asked how he knew the cause of the fire. He said it was because there was an investigation done. I asked by who. He said the FD and the electrical inspector. I know the inspector and he is not qualified to do forensics. I also know most of the firefighters and a couple fire chiefs and none of them, nor any other FD personnel are qualified to do forensics.

When I asked why the light got blamed, the answer I got was because the area near and over the light was the 'hottest part of the fire'.

Of course, that is absolutely no indication of origin, plus no one was there to measure the heat, so even that assertation is total conjecture.

We have had several house fires on the road I live on in the past few years. After the most recent, I called the FD for that township and asked some questions. This house did have a forensics team come in and they determined that the fire started 'in the electrical panel'. In the panel? Hmmm.... I told the firefighter I was talking to that I wanted to take a look for myself, because panels, being metal and all, are pretty good at containing fires. He tried, but couldn't get permission due to safety issues. The house was bulldozed a few weeks later.

When I said that electrical gets blamed when all else is ruled out, I didn't just make that up. One of my firefighter friends studied forensics for a while and that is where I got that info. Watch for the key word 'possibly'. 'Possibly caused by an electrical failure' really means no other cause was found.

masterinbama

The fire that destroyed my former warehouse was on the night of the fire to be electrical in nature. Odd thing is the utilities had been off for 6 months. This the only electrical on the property and it wasn't in service.

DSCF5807.jpg

masterinbama

The fire that destroyed my former warehouse was on the night of the fire to be electrical in nature. Odd thing is the utilities had been off for 6 months. This the only electrical on the property and it wasn't in service.

View attachment 7188

As a side note. The legs that the panel and meter is attached to is leftover scrap from a local free standing carport builder. It's much heavier than unistrut and practically free.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

View attachment 7188

I've heard of them blaming it on electrical on buildings that hadn't had electrical for 20 years. Had one fire captain, that if he couldn't figure it out, blamed it on spontainious combustion.:roll:

I thought someone else had mentioned it to, but sometimes they will call it electrical when it was really an electrical appliance. There is actually a catagory for appliances. If you really look at the fire statistics the numbers don't add up if you take the number of causes and try to match them to the number of fires.

GerryB

Years ago in a remodel There was a metal workbox with two bx's and a plug in it laying on the floor, detached from the studs. When you moved it a certain way it flamed up, then would go out if I moved it another way. What was that?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Years ago in a remodel There was a metal workbox with two bx's and a plug in it laying on the floor, detached from the studs. When you moved it a certain way it flamed up, then would go out if I moved it another way. What was that?

Something that should in all likelyhood be disconnected from the electrical system. Like yesterday. Think of the children.

Last edited:

hurk27

I myself thinks way more effort is needed to be made in the determining of the origin of fires and or other hazards, I know it can be hard work in many cases where much of the evidence is damaged to the point beyond even recognizing what it even was, but in most cases arcs and shorts can be determined under a microscope, as it leaves tell tale signs on the conductors and other conductive surfaces even if all the insulation has been burned off.

I have had an interest in this area ever since I had a fire at a guard shack that was mistakenly thought to have been caused by the electric wiring in the guard shack by the local fire investigator, but the burn patterns clearly showed it was caused by a wall air unit with electric heat.

I was able to get UL involved from Chicago who agreed with me and also found that the problem with these heat/air units was dangerous as it was easily repeatable by just putting the fan speed control between speeds or just stalling the blower motor which in these unit also acted as the condenser fan motor, so that the fan motor stopped but the heating element would continue to heat, UL was allowing a automatic reseting high temp limit that would allow the heat element to re-energize which would slowly cause the plastic shroud that enclosed the heating element and blower wheel to slowly droop to the point it made contact with the element and being made out of ABS plastic it was very flammable and would burst into a fire which also would ignite the plastic front grill, the blower wheel it's self, which was also injected molded ABS plastic, this burning plastic would start dropping burning balls of this flaming plastic onto the floor which is why the fire investigator thought it started under the unit first not the other way around, UL had me report this problem to CPSC as they did also and a recall was issued for thousands of units manufactured under the Fedders and Sears cold spot brand names as well as a few others, UL revised their specifications to make sure this could never happen again.

If the above fire would have happened in a home with children it could have easily led to loss of life and I believe there were some reports of this latter on.

The above is just one reason why it is so important to know the correct cause as without this information the correct fixes can never be made, I have made this statement many times on here and recently in the threads about the electrocutions in the lakes which sadly took the lives of children, as we will never be able to make the right corrections that need to be made to stop these dangers and many others, and we wind up with codes and or designs on consumer products that are not really correcting the real problem if really addressing a problem that is not there.

I know Don who is also a fireman (I think) has also made similar remarks as such and wishes the same goal as anyone should, I would offer my services to any fire department who would like my opinion in helping find hard to determine causes if time allows, and had made such an offer to the many FD's around here in my area, this is not about the money as if I can help save one more life to me it would be worth the effort to help in any way I can to save lives.

We need more people who has this knowledge to offer help with these kinds of investigations, not to just find out what happened but to offer solutions that will get things going in the right directions to a goal of eliminating these dangers, boat docks needs inspections, but its hard because home owners have the right to privacy and protection against illegal search and seizure, but public areas don't have these same rights and should be required to be periodically inspected, voltage to earth detection devices should be developed that not only can remove the circuit voltage but also remove the EGC voltage path when detecting a present of voltage on the grounding, there devices like this for RV's but do not disconnect the grounding if a voltage is detected on the grounding, a modification would not be hard to do to also remove this problem of voltage on the EGC caused by some of the reasons I stated in the other thread.

I know some would cringe at even thinking of having an automatic device to disrupt the EGC path, but if all circuit voltage and including the neutral was disconnected I see no reason it could not also disconnect the EGC, as this is the only way to make sure all power is removed when a voltage is detected to earth which is the main reason for these tragedies.

GFCI's are not design to do this, while in their own right they are a great life saving device we need something to detect for voltage to earth even from the EGC, and if a boat is hooked to shore power and has a metal hull it too also needs this detection that would remove all connections to the shore power including the EGC, this goes for any shore power located close to a lake where swimming could happen intentionally or planed.

But like I said we need the proper investigation to determine the correct problem so that a proper fix can be found and codes implemented to force changes to make a safer electrical system.

I hope this can be understood as I meant it, as I have for a long time known that this has been a big problem.

I know I repeted myself above, but it is very important to understand the importance that I feel this problem is.

I dont think there is a person here who understands trouble shooting, that will dispute how hard it can be if you do not know what kind of problem you are looking for, and how hard it will be to do the correct fix, we need correct investagations done before we can fix it.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Seems like the person who built that service could of saved himself some trouble if he had just moved the meterbase down(or the panel up) and lined up the ko's.....

sii

We had a fire in our plant in early February this year that did about $1/4 M in damage. I personally watched the camera footage of the fire with the city inspector in which you could see a large burning ember exit an opening in the side of one of our ovens and ignite the *whatever you call the oily, hairy stuff that's all over the ceiling*.

I found out later when I was interviewed by the insurance rep that it was determined to be electrical.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
We had a fire in our plant in ...... the insurance rep that it was determined to be electrical.

But what does that mean?

Does it mean the electricity caused the fire? How did it happen?
The electrician did screwed up and caused the fire?
The electrical appliance caused the fire?

It seems electricity doesn't just cause a fire. I am not an expert but i think a lot has happen in the right order and in the ideal environment in order to have a fire that was truly caused by electricity.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Seems like the person who built that service could of saved himself some trouble if he had just moved the meterbase down(or the panel up) and lined up the ko's.....
Some guys think the tops of the equipment have to line up. Not to might be considered unworkmanlike. And that leads to things like bad EMF and babies born out of wedlock.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Some guys think the tops of the equipment have to line up. Not to might be considered unworkmanlike. And that leads to things like bad EMF and babies born out of wedlock.

I'm one of those guys too, but I know where to draw the line. Using all those extra parts just to keep the tops even would probably result in a butt chewing if my boss saw it. I'll quit now, before I sidetrack this thread anymore then it already is.

GerryB

Do you mean actual flames or are you describing arcing?

It was an actual flame. I have never seen anything like it since. I didn't tell the whole story either. I had only looked at the job and when I went back there was sheetrock up. It had not been taped yet and I remembered that outlet so I removed the rock and there it was. That is when it amazed me by flaming up if you moved it a certain way. Spontaneous combustion? I don't know. But I definitely thought about it being buried in the wall waiting for some kid or something to bang the wall and get it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.