Electrical grounding.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

viprit

[FONT=&quot]I understand that the purpose of grounding some wires/electrical systems is to provide a path of least resistance to the earth (where the potential is ~0), but why must we do that? What purpose does it serve?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, how does grounding affect whether or not someone would be shocked by touching a wire?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, if I were to jump from a trampoline and grab onto a powerline without touching anything else that may be touching the ground, would I receive a shock?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks.[/FONT]

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am reopening this thread briefly, and only to say this:
I understand that the purpose of grounding some wires/electrical systems is to provide a path of least resistance to the earth (where the potential is ~0). . . .
That is absolute nonsense! It is commonly believed, but it is not true. As a homework assignment, try to find out why.

Status
Not open for further replies.