Electrical Hazzards and the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

amptech

I have followed Joe Ts threads about abandoned/obsolete/deteriorated wiring and what the NEC should do about it. I have an opinion about who should take responsibility and who should police these situations. This is just my opinion and I welcome dissenting replies.
The photos joe has posted all fall into one or more of 5 catagories: Single family, multi-family, commercial, industrial or public municipality. Policing hazzards and seeing that they are corrected in a municipality such as street lights or any other that occur on the public traffic area is the responsibility of the public safety official of the municipality. If it is on private property but exposes the public to danger the city official has the right and the obligation to take what ever measures to protect the public. If it is in an industrial setting OSHA is the policeman there. The factories I do business with are inspected by their workman's comp carrier yearly and are pretty effective at getting companys to eliminate hazzards in the workplace. Commercial is also under the authority of the local public safety official. In my town you must pass inspection from the building inspector, public health officer and fire marshall annually to keep your doors open to the public. This applies to everybody from diners to car lots. Multi-family dwellings, where the occupants are tennants, fall under the authority of the housing authority. Units are supposed to be inspected when ever they are rented out, remodeled or sold. The housing authority usually enlists the services of the building inspector for these assessments. They can by law revoke an occupancy certificate on a rental until it meets code. Hotels and motels also fall under this authority and are inspected annually in my town. Health/safety inspections are done quarterly on any establishment that prepares food and all aspects of safety are addressed. Single family dwellings, where the occupant is the owner, are a different story. Electric utility installations are supposed to conform to the NESC and most do in my area with the exception of the small town that has their own electric utility.More often than not they violate every safety rule in the book. I attribute this to a mixture of ignorance and being penny wise and pound foolish. There should be a law that requires any municipality that sells electricity to have and maintain trained, qualified persons to maintain it. Too many small towns sell power and use the profits for everything else but the electrical infrastructure. The last catagory is single family dwellings. If the occupant is the owner the only way he is subjected to inspections is having permitted work done, re-connection after disconnection due to a fire or other hazzards that became an imminent threat to neighboring properties or conditions discovered during a legal search or through other criminal investigation such as electricity theft. As far as making a law that subjects homeowners to random inspections, forget aboutit. The ACLU would never stand for that! So what I'm saying is, the vast majority of Joe's pictures are of situations where it is already someone's responsibility to police. It just isn't being done. What would make anyone think that making it a requirement in yet another document, enforced by yet another government agency would fix it?

Ed MacLaren

Re: Electrical Hazzards and the NEC

amptech,

You summed up what I was thinking, and said it better than I could have.

Ed

caj1962

Amptech
I second Ed's vote. In our area there is one other AHJ that can and has gotten involved in matters such as these. It is the Fire Marshall. He has the right to inspect if a violation is suspected and usally, if it involves electrical hazards, calls on the Electrical Inspectors for help.
I have spoken with Joe on this subject and I too think these should be corrected. But as I stated to Joe, who is going to pay any of us for our services? Any and all of these will cost $$$$$ to repair. Who should I send my bill too. I can walk around the block from where I am sitting and find violations. But I can't just walk up and expect someone to hire me to fix them. Even if I can show them the violations in the code book. We have all seen instalations that scare us to even think about working on. I know for myself I walk from jobs where there are Joe' pictures that just haven't been taken yet. The way I here people talk is "it still works" or worse "it hasn't hurt anyone and it has been this way for years"
I agree with you that we already have rules and laws that are not being enforced why make more that will be ingnored also. Because no one will spend $$$$$$$ until they have to.

joe tedesco

Hello: Its me again! I am crazy, and these are not hazards! They are props I made up while walking around downtown Boston today, and last week on Commonwealth Avenue!

jtbos1.jpg

jtbos2.jpg

jtbos3.jpg

Don't mind Joe, he's just a concerned citizen, and only interested in safety!

He is also very determined to get something done about these situations! With an average of about 200-400 readers here on Mike's board, he thinks he may begin to get some support someday.

jtbos4.jpg

jtbos5.jpg

jtbos6.jpg

The people who are against this issue are probably not really aware of the problems. If you want, please send Joe some images he can use in his long journey.

Please don't get upset with Joe, when he beats up on you! He is really a nice guy, and those who know him will agree, however, don't Cross him, he is a Scorpio -- but does forgive and forget!

Do you want Joe to visit your town with his camera? Send him an email, or just one to say hello Joe!
Joe will be in Edison, NJ all of next week.

amptech

Joe, Don't you see that everyone here agrees that these are serious hazzards? Every photo in the previous post is a hazzard which falls under the responsibility of an existing authority. If someone isn't doing their job what good does it do to pass a law instructing another person to to the job? Then you have 2 people not doing the same job. You are welcome to visit New Castle, Indiana any time. When I have encountered hazzards in public places in my town I have reported them and observed their resolution. Our building commissioner depends on the ECs to alert him to things like this. He can't be everywhere and see everything but he does act when he's alerted. Have you reported the situations you have photographed to the public safety officer or the building department or the health department? If you have not then you are just as guilty of indifference as anyone else. You need to be directing your energies on this subject at the AHJs. If they don't enforce the rules that are in place what makes you think they would enforce a new one in the NEC?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Joe,
Are any of the installations in the set of pictures posted in this thread under the jurisdiction of the NEC? They don't appear to be to me. That does not change the hazard, but it does change the solution.
Don

joe tedesco

I am sure that the presence of these pictures here, with identifying street signs, and locations will be seen by someone in the department responsible for street lighting and bridges in the City of Boston.

Yes, when serious enough, I make it a point to see to it that someone is made aware of the hazard.

I understand your point Don and I believe that when designs are considered by the city that they use the most recent code amended here and it includes the NEC, called the Massachusetts Electrical Code.

These are serious safety hazards and the politics and lack of funds make this a common hazard around this city.

I will search for the person(s) responsible for these systems and let them know again!

A few months ago in the EC&M article I write I showed a pigeon and two people who where sitting near the train station where there were exposed wires at their seats, and today that location and quite a few more, have been covered with a temporary cover.

This temporary wiring is all over Boston because of the big dig. We can be sure that with over 140,000 more or less subscribers that someone saw that picture, and had it corrected.

I have more of this type of material and will begin to let more people know.

I will not, however, walk barefoot to find out if the covers are live.

Please think about the poor person who could get hurt and do the same in your city or town and maybe a few lives will be saved.

The NEC issue is getting stale, and we should avoid the argument unless the installation is covered by the NEC.

I like this statement and will encourage that it be adopted here in my State:

102.1.2 Maintenance

Electrical systems, equipment, materials and appurtenances, both existing and new, and parts thereof shall be maintained in proper operating condition in accordance with the original design and in a safe, hazard-free condition.

Devices or safeguards that are required by this code shall be maintained in compliance with the code edition under which installed.

The owner or owner's designated agent shall be responsible for the maintenance of the electrical systems and equipment.

To determine compliance with this provision, the code official shall have the authority to require that the electrical systems and equipment be reinspected.

tonyi

In south FL, there's a bunch of services installed at bus stops around the Palm Beach area. Apparently, the bus stop power isn't operative because there's no meters plugged into the meter bases - just a 20A SP breaker in a little panel to the side. But the meter bases are left wide open with no blank cover hot legs all hanging in the open breeze. I've not taken out a VOM to see if any of these services are actually live, but it looks pretty scary that there's a bunch of them in obviously public areas where any dope could just walk up and grab onto something.

charlie

There are bad installations everywhere and anyone who is armed with a camera can look for, and find all they want. It seems that most of the installations that need maintenance are the ones that are under the control of the local jurisdiction. The AHJ can not really push too hard without getting into hot water themselves.

The other situation is where safety is achieved but it doesn't look safe. The AHJ has approved the installation but Code violations are there. The general feeling I have heard is that even if a Code section is violated and that particular installation is safe, let it go. For instance, a single piece of NM installed along a stud is supported at 5 feet instead of 4 1/2 feet. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it bad enough to be written up? No, it is still a safe installation. :D

electricmanscott

Joe you have lived here long enough to know that this stuff will never get fixed. What it will take is a death. At this point the hazard that caused the death will be repaired. The city will spend a couple mil to buy off the family. This will be a net savings for them versus the costs to maintain and repair these situations. Does not make a bit of difference how many codes you have if they are not enforced. They don't care. Go start work without getting a permit and paying them their fee. Now you have their attention. :roll:

joe tedesco

Charlie and Scott:

OK! :D I will calm down, and keep my fingers crossed, but will continue to identify the locations, either by an email to the city (and I have already sent that message to Public Works) or by the text in any published material.

Who wants to help me with the language?

Sometimes from the mouth of another technical person who is familiar with the issues, it may sound less harsh when it comes from me!

I have some more pictures and will post them from time to time, so that we can be reminded that:

"this stuff will never get fixed"

;)

peter d

Joe,

I don't think a single person here disagrees with your desire to make things safe. I myself admire the effort you put into electrical safety, even if you come on a little strong at times. Keep up the good work! Those pictures are a travesty, and need to be addressed, no doubt about it.

What people really want is more enforcement and less jibber-jabber rules and bureacracy. It's truly unfortunate that money is put over the value of human life. Sad to say but that's the country we live in.

Personally, I would be happy with 1000 less rules but 1000 times more enforcement.

That is a pipe dream though. :roll:

dg

Unsafe vs abandoned wiring is a great discussion thread, especially the part about lack of enforcement. Unfortunately, it may take legal action to force compliance. Need an example?

A tourist was killed on the Las Vegas Strip last year when she stepped on a metal underground box lid; inside the box were frayed wires that touched the lid. Here's the web link to the news story:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Aug-19-Tue-2003/news/21972077.html

The victim's son has vowed to file a lawsuit.

A follow up story from 9-17-03 talks about how Clark County hired 4 inspectors, at a cost of $188,000.00, to go inspect 5,000 underground boxes for hazards. That's above and beyond the 1,050 underground boxes in County parks, where several other shock-accidents have occurred. Here's that link:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Sep-17-Wed-2003/news/22173917.html

It is a sad commentary that it does take deaths or injuries before code enforcement is taken seriously. Witness the night club fires on the east coast or the LV-MGM highrise fire in the 1980's.

B

bthielen

There may be possible solutions to the residential concern, at least to some degree.

I have recently been visited by insurance inspectors pertaining to my home-owner's insurance policy to note potential fire hazards including electrical. Most of the items cited included relocation of a diesel fuel barrel, adding hole plugs on service panels in my old buildings, moving electric fence controllers outside and away from buildings, add smoke detectors and alarms, etc. I didn't find any that seemed to undermine the NEC or reduce the level of safety. In order for me to retain my policy I was required to make corrections within a certain time frame.

I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more common for insurance companies to require inspections before issuing policies and/or renewals. After all, the cost of insurance is directly proportional to the cost of claims.

Refuse inspection and assume higher risk or don't get a policy. Sounds logical a fair to me.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.