Electrical home maintenance plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I would suggest an attorney's opinion on what language could keep a "prepaid electrical maintenance plan" from falling under the supervision of the state Department Of Insurance.
Its also a pretty quick google search:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/ins/15/01
Seems like its a regulated rabbit hole,
and complicated.
Don't take any business advice from me, but I personally avoid companies that have gimmicks.

For service work I'd stick to a fair hourly rate, with some kinda minimum to show up.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
A while back I was thinking of doing something like that as an annual safety inspection. Test GFI's, smoke detectors, open the main panel and check connections, and look over the service outside, etc. Then try to upsell devices like USB receptacles, dimmers, LED bulbs, whatever. Depends on the age of the house.
I used to know a handyman who had a trifold brochure that he handed to a customer when he was first called on a job. The brochure was a checklist of many things that could need repair in a house. He asked the customer look it over while he was there and to check off anything else that they could think of. It seemed to work well for him. He had to keep a truck stocked with tons of stuff but he made one small job turn into a larger one. He also used flat rate prices which made it easy to estimate, invoice and get paid on the spot. At that time, he used a Blackberry to keep his prices. He said that customers would trust his prices because they were on a device, and they believed were getting the same price as anyone else, rather than getting a hand written estimate which can appear made up at the time just for them. As electricians we have to get creative in this area.

kwired

Electron manager
A while back I was thinking of doing something like that as an annual safety inspection. Test GFI's, smoke detectors, open the main panel and check connections, and look over the service outside, etc. Then try to upsell devices like USB receptacles, dimmers, LED bulbs, whatever. Depends on the age of the house.
I used to know a handyman who had a trifold brochure that he handed to a customer when he was first called on a job. The brochure was a checklist of many things that could need repair in a house. He asked the customer look it over while he was there and to check off anything else that they could think of. It seemed to work well for him. He had to keep a truck stocked with tons of stuff but he made one small job turn into a larger one. He also used flat rate prices which made it easy to estimate, invoice and get paid on the spot. At that time, he used a Blackberry to keep his prices. He said that customers would trust his prices because they were on a device, and they believed were getting the same price as anyone else, rather than getting a hand written estimate which can appear made up at the time just for them. As electricians we have to get creative in this area.
If I give a hand written or simply off the top of my head price it often will be less than if I used my computer to price it.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
If I give a hand written or simply off the top of my head price it often will be less than if I used my computer to price it.
Like Mike Holt says "if you walk in and ballpark a quote, double it!" Maybe not exact words.... I always think of more material or time once I'm back at the office.
I do the same. I like the doubling concept.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The local phone company has an inside wiring maintenance plan, I think it’s something like $10 a month. They make a killing off it, because it’s extremely rare any thing goes wrong with the inside wiring and jacks. Equipment is not covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.