Electrical Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDK

Is there any code reference for when and when not a wall penetration should be sleeved regardless if it is fire rated or not.

PDK

Let me revise that question a little. When installing cables and control wiring throughout a commercial building is there any code references that says that you are required to install cables in a sleeve that penetrates a wall. The common practice here is drilling,punching or finding a crack in the wall to sneak a wire or wires through the wall.

marti smith

If it's not part of a fire resistance rated assembly, then yes you have to sleeve it. I do not have a link, but if you can get a copy of the IBC (I only have '06) it's section 712.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If it's not part of a fire resistance rated assembly, then yes you have to sleeve it.

Don't you mean if it is part of a fire resistance rated assembly, then yes you have to sleeve it? And fire stop it too I would add.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We always have for fire-rated. Typically, a piece of 3/4" EMT with fire-stop both inside and outside the sleeve.

If not so rated, I still make a penetration, rather than use any available crack or gap. You never know what might change.

PDK

IBC 2006 712 deals with penetrations. If you go to 712.2 it deals with penetrations and where sleeves are used. It doesn't say sleeves shall be used. I understand the installation methods for fire rated walls but I am looking for a liitle more clarification on if you penetrate a non fire rated wall are you required to sleeve it or not.

RICK NAPIER

If you penetrate a wall in such a manner that the cables will not be damaged by the penetration (300.4 NEC) and does not penetrate a fire or smoke protection feature (Chapter 7 IBC) then you should be ok without a sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.