Electrical Lighting Com check

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Inspection departments and municipalities limiting their liability. They can throw it back on the engineer if installed wrong. Got a transferswitch changeout in Texas that is same for same, but the city has a laundry list of requirements just to pull the permit. Engineered drawings, cable lengths, a whole page worth of requirements. Quoting a generator and transferswitch upgrade on a brand new building, and the engineer screwed up on the previous drawings. It is a non sds with a three pole switch, but his drawings are showing the neutral and ground bonded together at the generator. Inspector passed it because he probably didn’t know any better, and relied on the engineer to have it right.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It is a computer program that the government supports, to check the lighting design for compliance with energy codes.

Thanks. It doesn't look too daunting. Yet.

It will be interesting. The owner was being his own GC. He was one 25 years ago. Things have changed. Why my name is tagged to the lighting compliance is beyond me. I wasn't supposed to be suppling them.

d0nut

Nebraska is on the 2018 IECC, but has an exception for renovations under 50% of the cost of the building. If it is new construction or an addition, it will have to comply. If the lighting controls weren't designed with the IECC in mind, it will be a lot of rework.

Occupation
EC - retired
The owner decided to pass this off to an Architect. The Architect passed some of it to an EE. The EE sought the aid of a woman that does the lighting and Cad drawings for a larger EC in the Eastern part of the State. He has worked with her in the past. She called me this morning. We had a nice visit. She was married to my brother in law at one time and is who I would have enlisted had I continued with that portion of the project.

I had not seen the drawing yet but the description of some of the fixtures were: mfg..."LED Warehouse High Bay Fixtures, 360 watt. 48000 lumens 1000MH." ???

I guess I'm involved again. We meet with the owner in the morning.

Ragin Cajun

Be careful what you buy.
I go by the C3 rule. Cheap China *rap.
Buy from an established manufacturer with at least a 5 year warranty. The fly by night outfits will be gone before the fixture dies and the 5 years are up.
Be sure to use the latest COMchek version. You will likely need a PE's stamp on the results.

Occupation
EC - retired
Be careful what you buy.
I go by the C3 rule. Cheap China *rap.
Buy from an established manufacturer with at least a 5 year warranty. The fly by night outfits will be gone before the fixture dies and the 5 years are up.
Be sure to use the latest COMchek version. You will likely need a PE's stamp on the results.

My part originally was to install the fixture and had nothing to do with the purchase of them. Now "C" will make sure she gets the information to complete a compliance check. I will be there to make sure the switching is done as needed. We are 2009 for lighting so manual switching of levels or # of fixtures is compliant. As I Understand it at this time.

Occupation
EC - retired
As I understand it the City has adopted the 2009 as their energy code, so they have one. They have not updated as yet to the newer. They quoted the year in their letter to the owner. "C" made that point when I asked about automatic controls. Not required for the Energy Code the City is using.

d0nut

It isn't quite that simple. The locally adopted energy code has to be at least as strict as the state energy code, or have a waiver provided. See below for the appropriate state statute. The 2009 IECC doesn't come close to requiring what is in the 2018 version, the allowed lighting power densities are much lower in 2018 and the controls requirements are much more involved.

81-1618.
Local energy code; fees; waiver; procedure.

Any county, city, or village may adopt and enforce a local energy code. Such local energy code shall be deemed equivalent to the Nebraska Energy Code if it does not result in energy consumption greater than would result from the strict application of the Nebraska Energy Code and is reasonably consistent with the intent of sections 81-1608 to 81-1626. Any building or portion thereof subject to the jurisdiction of and inspected by such county, city, or village shall be deemed to comply with sections 81-1608 to 81-1626 if it meets the standards of such local energy code. Such county, city, or village may by ordinance or resolution prescribe a schedule of fees sufficient to pay the costs incurred pursuant to sections 81-1608 to 81-1626.

Any county, city, or village which adopts and enforces a local energy code may waive a specific requirement of the Nebraska Energy Code when meeting such requirement is not economically justified. The local code authority shall submit to the department its analysis for determining that a specific requirement is not justified. The department shall review such analysis and transmit its findings and conclusions to the local code authority within a reasonable time. The local code authority shall submit to the department its explanation as to how the original code or any revised code addresses the issues raised by the department. After a local code authority has submitted such explanation, the authority may proceed to enforce its local energy code.

d0nut

Your best out is if your construction project does not qualify a renovation. If you are less than 50% of the replacement cost of the building and don't add any square footage, you don't have to meet the energy code. Any new square footage would have to comply with the energy code.

81-1609.
Terms, defined.
(6) Renovation means alterations on an existing building which will cost more than fifty percent of the replacement cost of such building at the time work is commenced or which was not previously heated or cooled, for which a heating or cooling system is now proposed, except that the restoration of historical buildings shall not be included;

Status
Not open for further replies.