Electrical outlets over baseboard radiator system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtom

I had a walk-thru for "clean-up all code violations" estimate in a very old Chicago neighborhood tavern. Typical straight forward items such as missing cover plates, broken devices, no GFI outlets, and a bunch of silly work previous owner did himself to save money. But I did have one item that I could not answer on my own. The main bar area/room has a very old hot water/radiator baseboard secondary heating system (dont know if there is a better way to describe this heating system) that is installed throughout the entire room and is still in use. There are a few outlets roughly 12" above the baseboard radiators. I don't know if there is a NEC violation with items (beer signs and a jukebox mounted on wall higher up than outlets) plugged into these outlets as cords could hang down towards and above the baseboard heat. I would not allow this with electrical baseboard heating and would include work to correct this on my estimate, but is this OK with a hot water radiator baseboard heating system? This was installed I am guessing 40 years ago and I have no way of knowing what the manufacturer instructions would be or if the company exists as nothing on baseboard is labelled or marked.

Thank you for any input, which would be very helpful and interesting to know!!! And once again, what a great forum for sharing ideas.

iwire

Staff member
It is called hydronic baseboard or hydronic heating and there is no violation.

With electric baseboard heat it is only a violation if the instructions for the baseboard say not to mount below outlets.

mrtom

It is called hydronic baseboard or hydronic heating and there is no violation.

With electric baseboard heat it is only a violation if the instructions for the baseboard say not to mount below outlets.

Thank you iwire. Now I know the proper name for that baseboard heating! I thought the same for the electric baseboard but I could not find anything regarding the hydronic baseboard. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.