Electrical Panel in Egress Corridor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
Can you install a electrical panels in an egress corridor?
If there is enough Panel clearance, I don't see anywhere in the code book which says no.

This project is located in NY, so I'm also reviewing the International Building Code (IBC) as well.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen it where there is a small multifamily residence. Meters and panels in rear service entry hall.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The question should be "is there a specific code section that prohibits" and you won't find one.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Besides the answers above, all corridors are technically egress corridors.

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Stick an electric panel anywhere you like behind doors, corridors anywhere. Cant believe NEC allows all that. Whats the worth of electric panel zero

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Stick an electric panel anywhere you like behind doors, corridors anywhere. Cant believe NEC allows all that. Whats the worth of electric panel zero
Atta girl, you're catching on.

Roger

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
The only think I found was in IBC 1023.5 Penetration which doesn't list Electrical Panels as an exception to the rules.
They do list electrical raceway for fire department communication systems and electrical raceway serving the interior exit stairway and ramp.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You need to check with the architect to determine if the wall is fire rated. Some egress corridors are fire-rated. I'm not familiar with panels regarding penetrations into fire rated walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.