Electrical Panel Repair

Howie183

Occupation
Electrician
Commercial setting, all Cuttler-Hammer, two 3-phase high-legs and one single phase. All of it is gross. It’s a small-ish building and it has changed hands multiple times. We are essentially discontinuing/removing 60% of what exists. Customer doesn’t want/doesn’t have budget for a 3 panel swaps, and everything that goes with that.

The previous owner(s) absolutely ruined the tops of all these panels, essentially removing every single knockout, drilling more (killing other ko’s), drilling holes into ko seals, Romex in commercial setting, etc. name it, it’s here…owner is wanting to bring everything up/do it right, but it’s a lot. (Example: Above all the T-grid all the lighting is currently ran in 14/2 Romex.)

I have been looking all over I can’t find a yes or no on this idea…if I find 13 gauge (spec for enclosure?) sheet metal, cut it to size and use 10-32 screws/bolts to secure it to top of panel…it’s not pretty and I would rather do a panel swap, but does that work to give it a new “top-plate” to pop conduit in properly?

Note: We would take out the old put in ko seals and call it a day but, with the self drilled and irregular cuts it just isn’t going to fly…I bumped one of 1-1/4” conduits, and it popped out of the panel, taking with it a 1/2”.

Thoughts? Solutions? Code references? Or do we just do all the work fail inspection and twist the owner’s arm to cough up more money? Not preferred, he employs a lot of people in town and we like him.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If the panels are surface mount, it may be cleaner to nipple a tap can or wireway, the same width to the top of the panel. That will give you a clean slate at the top, and use a couple of 2” nipples between the panel and the wireway, blanking off the rest of the holes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd say if you want it to look good, replace the end panel with new sheet metal.

If you want it cheap and ugly, screw on a row of 4" sq. blank covers.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Must just be the way the picture is taken, but, those keyhole slots in the gutter cover look huge. :)

JAP>